Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
finally

Epoxy Question

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I have been using Flex Coat and have noticed that it gets a little yellow. Are most of you using Flex Coat or another brand. Also any other suggestions on how to keep it from yellowing?

Flex coat does yellow, a lot. If you want to keep that from happening too quickly, fish only at night, never under a light and store the rods in the dark.

Aftcote is pretty stable stuff. Might be time for a change! smile.gif

Been putting up with the yellowing of FlexCoat for the past 15yrs. Did my first test of the new "Threadmaster" finish yesterday. Very clear, flows beautifully, I think a Better Mousetrap has come along. Got it from Anglers Workshop.

I've been building rods for several years now and have found through trial and error that either U40's LS Supreme (Dura Gloss) or American Tackle's Clear Coat have worked best for me. I have some rods for 3-4 years now and no yellowing. just my 2 cents. good luck.

I also think it is thinner but that's probably because Flex Coat kicks a lot faster than Aftcote. I wouldn't even think of using Aftcote without a drying motor. I usually let it spin overnight.