Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
striperseeker554

building a flyrod?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I built one for my father in law last spring, it was fairly easy. I got a 2 piece rod. I got one of the kits from Cabelas, the only problem was that they are a little cheap on the epoxy, I just used my own, I like to put at least 2 coats on the finished wraps.

I'd agree that it is well worth it and not too difficult. I have built 2/3 of the rods that I own and fish with. You don't need to invest heavily in equipment to get started, so don't let that be a road block to starting this project. If you carefully check out a lot of factory rods - I am sure you can do just as good a job and in some cases quite a bit better. Give it a shot - before you know it you might have a whole closet full of rods.

I was thinking about buying the materials to build a flyrod because of how much cheaper it is. Is it worth it? Is really difficult?

Tim, it's only cheaper if you buy the same components that are on a factory rod, and attach them to the same blank as the factory rod.

There are two ways that you can approach this, the cheap way, or the good way. The cheap way is what I described above. The good way is to take your time, pick out quality components that are much better than the average factory-rod components, and wrap them onto your rod.

An example is guides. You can wrap regular stainless steel snake guides on your rod, and they are very cheap. You could also spend a bit more money (not a whole lot more by the way), and buy quality single foot guides. Your rod should perform better with single foots vs. snake guides. The same goes for the quality of cork handle (or rings if you're making your own handle), reel seat, and fighting butt.

Whatever you decide, make sure that you enjoy it. My first rod got me frustrated to no end when I was trying to wrap on the guides near the tip. I hate a lot of trouble since the circumference was so small, and my tying thread kept coming undone. However, I took my time, changed my ways and started near the butt, and got some needed experience that helped my tackle the tip wraps.

Now that I've said all of that, you can build a fly rod for a lot cheaper than you could buy one with the same components. Just don't count your time as a cost, and you come out ahead.

Check out Hook & Hackle if you want some nice deals on some good blanks. I've made two using their Rainshadow blanks (that's the H&H labeled brand if I'm not mistaken).