Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caranx

GSB 120-2 M for tropical use

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I will start this post apologizing for any erethic thing I might say...

I have got one of those blanks and I would like to try to turn it into a good rod for the tropics. What this rod need ?

1) Be powerful to withstand the use of a # 50lb braided and a drag set around 20 + lb

2) Be stiff not to bend too much when a fish tries to go back into the rocks on the first short run.

3) Have enough backbone to lift a strong fish from the bottom and tire him quickly, to decrease the odds of a break off and to release him fast.

4) Cast poppers in the 4 to 5oz league but, not necessarily one mile away. I don't need much of a great casting rod, 50, 70 yds will be plenty of distance sometimes, I'd rather have a great fighting pole.

5) Be fast/stiff enough to work the poppers properly.

6) Have a relatively "short" handle, to be used on a boat.

Now, to achieve these results, I have the feeling that the orignal blank might be a tad "soft", so I figured out that 5" cut for each piece would do the trick and turn it into the flag pole I was looking for. Does it makes any sense ? Will this change the rod's action so that it will increase the chance to break it ? How many guides would you put once is reduced to new size ? They should be double footed, somebody mentioned to me the Fuji Alconite, do you have any suggestion ?

Again, sorry for this probably completely wrong approach, any feedback is highlky apreciated.

Grazie mille

Nicola smile.gif

------------------

solsignature.jpg

Caranx,

The rod you are describing sounds like one I would use to cask heavy plugs for cubera snapper along a rocky shoreline from a boat or be used for amberjack over a wreck where you chum them up off the wreck and cast lures or live bait.

There are several excellent blanks to use for this application, however, I would very very concerned using a standard 2-piece surf rod that is ferruled in the middle.

The rod you are describing I have made with the folloeing specs:

8-foot heavy one piece composite blank rated from 20-40 lb and capable of casting 2-4 ounce lures.

For transportability purposes the rod would have a detachable butt section using a Fuji locking reel seat.

The grip material would be of your choice and the guides would be Fuji SIC. The type and size would be determined by the reel you intend to use. You did not specify spinning or conventional.

Hope this helps.

Al

Ciao Al,

thanks a lot for your quick reply. I can understand your point of view, and the use I will do of this rod is very similar to the one you describe but it cannot be a 1 piece outfit. I am travelling quite extensively and I need something smaller because most of the time I'm able to sneak the rod case in the cabin with me, even if is 5' long. Similar to what you describe, there's a good bunch of japanese blanks like Tenryu or Zenaq that offers 8ft rods with offset handles but in this case I'd like to try to keep it shorter. Said that, and understanding that from your point of view is not 100% what I'd need, would you suggest to do the modifications I mentioned ? Is just a test for this blank, I would like to see how close I can get to the "real thing" and see if there's any room to improve. Again, I don't have a clue about rod building, I just know what I need but I wuldn't know how to get there...biggrin.gif

Ciao

Nicola smile.gif

------------------

solsignature.jpg