Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew C.

Francesco's Italian restaurant caught with illegal bass

Rate this topic

149 posts in this topic

This seems like a thread that could be revived from the very day it was illegal to sell stripers?

Personally every time I see "Grouper" on the menu during the time when Stripers are around I laugh. It's probably a bass-or so I've been told by various restaurant owners in NJ. They all claim that it's the other guy that's doing it. To see boats docked outside the restaurants must be too tempting...

The answer to saving the bass is the same answer that the State of Florida arrived at many, many years ago with Snook. Make the fish a "Game fish" and stop all the selling. Period

Couldn't agree more, + a reduction on the rec side.

The answer to saving the bass is the same answer that the State of Florida arrived at many, many years ago with Snook. Make the fish a "Game fish" and stop all the selling. Period

Much easier said than done, go back and read C.Witek's comments as to why this is so difficult. I know N.C was supposed to have a vote this year for gamefish status but the commercials blocked the vote from even coming up .

It just gets kicked down the road time after time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockbox View Post

...We all have days of no fish but we all have days of alot of fish and those days can cause a ligit fishermen to do the wrong thing....

Utter nonsense.  A crook is a crook.    If its in your mind (heart?) then it is.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodyCT View Post

Eh tea bagger?

NIce, very nice!  Good for you!

Tossing out political epithets.  Denigrating someone else's completely legitimate view points with nothing more than a rude comment.  

Go you!

Should we bring race into this as well?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSH1976 View Post

This guy is either a troll or has some connection to the restaurant in question. There really is no other rational explanation.

There is another very good explanation.  

He may be right, he may be wrong, I dont know.  However based upon the tone and style, I would venture a guess that he is extremely consistant in his viewpoints.  He is speaking from a philosophy in general, and merely using the bass/restaurant issue as a vehicle in this one case.

Sit down and have a beer with Gaff and I bet one fins he is a very interesting guy with some excellent points.

I'm jsut guessing and drawing conclusions based upon a very minimal set of observations & data, but then again...

Over reaching government is a necessity when folks have the anarchist mentality and see a public resource, which belongs to everyone, as belonging to no one and thus there to be plundered.

We are a civilized society boys- you will forever be tread upon.

Adapt to it.

He may be right, he may be wrong, I dont know.  However based upon the tone and style, I would venture a guess that he is extremely consistant in his viewpoints.  He is speaking from a philosophy in general, and merely using the bass/restaurant issue as a vehicle in this one case.

Sit down and have a beer with Gaff and I bet one fins he is a very interesting guy with some excellent points.

I'm jsut guessing and drawing conclusions based upon a very minimal set of observations & data, but then again...

Umm, no

Over reaching government is a necessity when folks have the anarchist mentality and see a public resource, which belongs to everyone, as belonging to no one and thus there to be plundered.

We are a civilized society boys- you will forever be tread upon.

Adapt to it.

I thought they stopped makin people like you. Damn, there goes society.

I feel the problem is not the guy who catches his legal limit of bass and wants to capitalize by selling his catch. Once the door opens-- To many surf fishermen and Boat fishermen ,will take more than their legal limit to make a buck which is why it can't be tolerated.We all have days of no fish but we all have days of alot of fish and those days can cause a ligit fishermen to do the wrong thing.So the rules should be upheld.I wish it would go back to 38 inches one fish only.-- it was that way before it went to 36 inches --- then 28 with 2 fish one over 40 inches, . that would change the whole game. or a slot limit changed each year one fish only.

" can cause..."

Really?

Lol

M

My man!

That is not morally wrong. That is the definition of a market

Black market vs market

You believe that an operation that sells, or profits by CHEATING AND ACTING ILLEGALLY is a-ok.

Just so we are all clear and know where you stand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSH1976 View Post

This guy is either a troll or has some connection to the restaurant in question. There really is no other rational explanation.

I totally agree...  I would like to hear what his size limit proposal would be.

What is the best way to stop illicit trade? Reduce or remove the demand!

A possibility - a whole heap of interested parties picket/protest outside the restaurant until it goes bankrupt. Make it clear, through the media, that any restaurant found to be illegally selling bass will be subject to the same treatment. Doubt it will take too long or too many demonstrations before the demand dries up!

What is the best way to stop illicit trade? Reduce or remove the demand!

A possibility - a whole heap of interested parties picket/protest outside the restaurant until it goes bankrupt. Make it clear, through the media, that any restaurant found to be illegally selling bass will be subject to the same treatment. Doubt it will take too long or too many demonstrations before the demand dries up!

The best way to stop - make it a gamefish. If that happens it would be illegal to sell period. The problem will still exist but it would go a long way towards helping. Ideally, I'd like to see better enforcement but realistically this isn't going to happen. States are strapped for cash and DEP/Fish & Game is not a priority. In lieu of that I'd like to see much harsher penalties - loss of gear, boat, business for even first offenders and jail time. Not talking about life sentence here, 3-6 months would get their attention. Once caught, get the IRS in there to audit their arses, Uncle Sam doesn't take too kindly to having his tax revenue avoided.

I also like your second statement, that's why I posted the restaurants name in the title, so plenty could see who it was.

This problem is just for bass, I've seen it for tog and fluke as well, heck even bluefish at times.