Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew C.

Francesco's Italian restaurant caught with illegal bass

Rate this topic

149 posts in this topic

NY Dec caught them taking untagged bass in thru the back door. I can't post the story or link with my phone, perhaps someone else can. Located in Babylon.

I think this a a major issue, some little rinky dink little pizza place was caught with 60lbs on one day, how much do you think they've been using all along? And we wonder why the population is crappin out. Obvious example of unreported commercial fishing.

Absolutely but when one does finally get caught it should be well known.

Why?

I happen to play by the rules but only bc i dont want to be ticketed. The size and bag limits on recreational fishermen are a joke. If this were a large corp that was killing hundreds of thousands of fish at a time i would feel differently but it seems to be a mom and pop establishment trying to make money to keep food on the table for their family. I use to be a chef and 60#s of fish isnt a lot by any metric. As a matter of fact, was it two 30lb bass? Thats actually allowed. Maybe not to be sold... But then i ask- why not? If i caught it, i kept it, i should be able to do wat i want with it. Not in nj and not in the us. This is a much deeper topic than fishing bc it should make you question why we must follow all these rules in general and who is responsible for deciding what those rules are?

I am not proposing total anarchy but can you please ask youselves, why is it illegal to sell the fish you caught? And as far as the regulations go, why 28" and not 27"? Why 2 fish, not 3? Its bc someone or some group decided those are the numbers. Just bc something is law does not mesn its right.

In a nutshell, a restarant being raided and fined for having 60 #s of striped bass sounds like a waste of taxpayer money for the investigation, raid, court and follow through. It is a joke. Open ur eyes

Why is it illegal to sell what you catch? Seriously? I'm sure if that was allowed very few people would take advantage of making a profit and take over limits on a regular basis.

No size limit and free to sell whatever you catch will definitely help an already declining fishery! Wow

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaffAndRelease View Post

Why?

I happen to play by the rules but only bc i dont want to be ticketed. The size and bag limits on recreational fishermen are a joke. If this were a large corp that was killing hundreds of thousands of fish at a time i would feel differently but it seems to be a mom and pop establishment trying to make money to keep food on the table for their family. I use to be a chef and 60#s of fish isnt a lot by any metric. As a matter of fact, was it two 30lb bass? Thats actually allowed. Maybe not to be sold... But then i ask- why not? If i caught it, i kept it, i should be able to do wat i want with it. Not in nj and not in the us. This is a much deeper topic than fishing bc it should make you question why we must follow all these rules in general and who is responsible for deciding what those rules are?

I am not proposing total anarchy but can you please ask youselves, why is it illegal to sell the fish you caught? And as far as the regulations go, why 28" and not 27"? Why 2 fish, not 3? Its bc someone or some group decided those are the numbers. Just bc something is law does not mesn its right.

In a nutshell, a restarant being raided and fined for having 60 #s of striped bass sounds like a waste of taxpayer money for the investigation, raid, court and follow through. It is a joke. Open ur eyes

Yeah, and maybe restaurants shouldn't even be inspected.  I mean, why not?  If it's my restaurant, I should be able to what I want with it.  Who is responsible for deciding what those rules are?

Why is it illegal to sell what you catch? Seriously? I'm sure if that was allowed very few people would take advantage of making a profit and take over limits on a regular basis.

No size limit and free to sell whatever you catch will definitely help an already declining fishery! Wow

Its hard to reason with people that are already brainwashed by the norm. I am questioning those very regulations as well

Yeah, and maybe restaurants shouldn't even be inspected.  I mean, why not?  If it's my restaurant, I should be able to what I want with it.  Who is responsible for deciding what those rules are?

No clue wat this even means

No clue wat this even means

They shouldnt be inspected to see if they are using a bass that was caught in the ocean and not farm raised. Is that wat u mean ? Are u referring to some other sort of inspection?

I feel the problem is not the guy who catches his legal limit of bass and wants to capitalize by selling his catch. Once the door opens-- To many surf fishermen and Boat fishermen ,will take more than their legal limit to make a buck which is why it can't be tolerated.We all have days of no fish but we all have days of alot of fish and those days can cause a ligit fishermen to do the wrong thing.So the rules should be upheld.I wish it would go back to 38 inches one fish only.-- it was that way before it went to 36 inches --- then 28 with 2 fish one over 40 inches, . that would change the whole game. or a slot limit changed each year one fish only.

Why?

are you effin kidding me? the only reason you"play by the rules is bc I don't want to be ticketed"? why not drive on the other side of the road? or drive off from a self serve gas station after filling up? or steal coffee from the convenience store? why not? seems you think you can pick and choose which rules you want to follow....

you're on a slippery slope there mister- if you think its not worthwhile to enforce the rules on a small level like a local restaurant, then where does it start? some commercial guy backdoors 100lbs? 300 lbs? 500? where does it start to be "important" for you?

so- where ever you're from, I hope its far away from me

and as far you "playing by the rules" I think we can safely assume you've crossed that line long ago considering you're views on being "hypnotized" by the rule of law

are you effin kidding me? the only reason you"play by the rules is bc I don't want to be ticketed"? why not drive on the other side of the road? or drive off from a self serve gas station after filling up? or steal coffee from the convenience store? why not? seems you think you can pick and choose which rules you want to follow....

you're on a slippery slope there mister- if you think its not worthwhile to enforce the rules on a small level like a local restaurant, then where does it start? some commercial guy backdoors 100lbs? 300 lbs? 500? where does it start to be "important" for you?

so- where ever you're from, I hope its far away from me

and as far you "playing by the rules" I think we can safely assume you've crossed that line long ago considering you're views on being "hypnotized" by the rule of law

I dont drive on the wrong side of the road bc it could cause an accident and is dangerous.

I dont steal coffee or gas bc it is stealing from a person or company and it is morally wrong.

Those are very poor comparisons being that keeping a fish you caught doesnt hurt anyone physically or financially.

I would draw the line on commercial sized catches bc that is where a fishery can be hurt. The recreational fishery removes a very small portion of the population. You are brainwashed my friend.

Not sure what a differance me living near by you or not makes (unless u r just being a keyboard warrior).