Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kip

fuji low riders

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Kip, I've built a few surf rods with Low Riders. First you should undestand their purpose. They are designed for long (12'+) spinning rods, exclusively using braid. The length thing can be a bit less but gotta use only braid.

My overall impression is that they are great guides. Are they the magic bullet? No do they increase distance? Yes, but not much. Are they less prone to line fouling? Yes. The best results will be with a long cast spinning reel like a Daiwa Emblem, or even a Nautil. I have one that I use a VS on and it's not the best match.

i have an alstar 1267-2 with low riders.

i had to mess around quite a bit with spacing to use them on a 10 1/2 foot rod. i think the main difference is having the stripper guide so far from the reelface.

does it work? well, i can consistantly hit 100 yards now, so im thrilled. last night it got me into schools of blues too far for all the other rods.

i say try em out. at the least youll have a pimp looking rod!

Oz - what do you mean they are "Less prone" to fouling? They are supposed to be foul-proof. That's what those funny shaped legs are for, at least that's what Fuji tells me. lol.

I hate the length of these things, makes wrapping them a little tough, and it seems like it would increase the likelihood of epoxy cracking. Which is why I switched the last 3 guides to have MN frames as opposed to LC's.

Only using a size 20 down to a 10 or 12, as opposed to the old school standard 40 stripper, down to a 16 - makes the rod so, so much lighter. I guess.

Erik - where ya at.

Greetings,

I have the low riders on a 9' two piece rod, an Allstar 1085-2. I realize that they were developed for long rods but this was an experiment. I must say I do like the rod and it performs great. I can throw a 2-3 oz tin out of sight. It also casts bombers well. I have caught a lot of fish with this rod so I guess the experiment was a success as it is the rod that I carry in my car all of the time.

Not sure I could justify the extra cost of the lowriders other than it was an experiment, but the rod does look cool and I am happy with it.

Mark

I forgot. LC's are freaking cool to have on your rod, especially if they are Fancy Gold colored. However, if you want the "advantages" of the LC's without spending the dough on SIC's, you can substitute Fuji MN Alconite guides in size 20 as the stripper. That's my opinion since they are the same hieght. After the stripper, the only advantage these guides have is they are tangle-proof. So if you have no problems with your guides tangling now, you could substitute MN's (or even LN's??) out to the tip for a bootleg version of low riders.

Oz - what do you mean they are "Less prone" to fouling? They are supposed to be foul-proof. That's what those funny shaped legs are for, at least that's what Fuji tells me. lol.

Foul-proof would mean impossible, less prone means less likely. wink.gifI've seen them foul, but very rarely.

I hate the length of these things, makes wrapping them a little tough, and it seems like it would increase the likelihood of epoxy cracking. Which is why I switched the last 3 guides to have MN frames as opposed to LC's.

Billy, my rods with LR's have about 1/2" wrap on the biggest guide and no underwrap. That's smaller than most other guides. If you must underwrap a LR, only do split underwraps. Underwrapping the entire lenth of a LR is adding a ton of thread and epoxy that serves no functional purpose and adds weight that need not be on the blank.

Billy built me a 1321 w\\ low-riders. It is incredible.

I haven't had any problems with the rod casting up to 3 oz with it and there is NO line slap at all.. Smooth sailing all the way through the guides.. It's really sweet. I haven't casted side by side with a standard wrapped 1321 but I'm willing to bet the low-riders help a little. I love the rod and the guides look and perform awesome..

ErikT