Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
njboland

wire line component list

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Greetings to you Mr. Goldberg and others. I am a new member here and love all aspects of the site. I want to build a wire line rod for u-rig trolling and parachutes. Settled on the Lamiglas BT857S and have read through all of your postings on this topic. Would you consider putting up a complete list of components including guides, grips, seats, gimble as well as correct guide spacing and our input on whether to cut the blank to 6 1/2 feet? I have build a few rods, however, I would like to know if it is possible to build this type of rod with a slick butt. I saw a mention of this in one of the postings, I believe the components were by Stuart. Finally, if you please, your opinion on tip tops. Seems that many charter captains use rods with a ring top, not a roller. Thanks for all of the wonderful information. Sincerely, Nick.

Hi Nick,

I would leave it at 7-feet. However, if you need to go 6.5 feet then trim 6-inches from the butt.

Components List:

Fuji HNSG SIC Guides in sizes

or for a heavier guide USG's in the same sizes.

#14 UST tip with a #12 ring.

Aftco Gimbal

12-inch Slickbutt

Aftco ARS-2M seat

10-inch EVA foregrip.

You can use a standard ring tip top, just make sure you use a small enough ball bearing swivel that with pass through to tip top.

The wire set up for U-rigs and parachutes are different. For parachutes you need to set up your wire with a yard of 60 pound mono for every 100 feet of wire. These splices are joined with bearing swivels between the wire and mono to allow you to jig on the mono so you will not fatigue the wire from the continuous jigging action.

As far as guide spacing, the stripper will be determined by the size of the reel, typically 22-inches from the center of the seat using a 4/0 Senator.

From the tip to the first #12 guide is 5 inches. Space the remaining guides out in increasing 3/4 inch increments. i.e. 5.75, 6.50 etc.

Underwrap and double overwrap each guide.

Al

Fantastic Mr. G. Thanks for the quick reply. Just to round the list out, if you were to use a roller top, what would you use? And, thanks for the tip on the mono in-between the wire segments. A great idea indeed. I always turn up a few cranks every 15-20 jigs so as not to fatigue the wire, but, your solution is much better. Wonder if anyone in Montauk will catch on? Thanks again. Nick

hi al,how would the hsng's hold up to the swivels running through them would they crack and seperate from the frame or would they hold up just fine.the reason i ask is that i went today to buy components for a trolling rod and the guy behind the counter looked at me like i was crazy told me they would never hold up to the swivels.he told me not to use swivels but to replace them with a knot.then i went to another respectible rod shop and they told me to use the sic that they hold up just fine and that they run swivels .thanks al