Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scoop

dumb newby question

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

okay, i'm going to give this rodbuilding thing a shot to pass the long, cold winter, but before i start, i've got a question for y'all ...

is your first rod generally a piece of junk, or is it something that you'd want to put into regular service? in other words, should i bother investing the $$$ in a high-quality blank and components for my first attempt without having any experience as a rodbuilder -- or should i buy some cheapo stuff to practice by building a rod that i'll only need once or twice a year or can use as a "guest" rod?

i've been watching this forum for a while, and i'm confident you guys will steer me in the right direction. thanks in advance...

Hi Scoop,

I'd start with medium priced components. The first rod will probably not be a piece of junk, but there is a learning curve and there will be mistakes in that first rod (you'll know every one of them and where they are, but nobody but another rodbuilder will be able to find them). Use a medium priced fiberglas blank, or maybe a blemished graphite blank. Use Fuji hardaloy guides(much cheaper than SIC), high-grade thread, and good wrap finish. If you don't have it , buy and read Tom Kirkman's new book "A Rodbuilding Guide". Your first rod will remain near and dear to your heart for sometime. Be careful, you are about to start something that is more addictive than heroin or cocaine. Good luck and welcome. Lynn Huffman

I agree with Lynn completely. Start out slow and learn each step of the process. You will be amazed with the results.

I would also recommend that you think about attending ny basic workshop in February. You will learn more in a day then a year on your own.

Al