Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
qhg

15' Spey rod

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Al,

One of my winter projects will be to build a 15' GLX 10/11 wt fly rod.

After two seasons with a sore right elbow, I thought I'd try a two-handed fly rod.

Do you have any experience building one of these?

I was going to start by calling Loomis and ask what guides and spacing they use on their factory rod. (Unlike a factory spinning rod, where guide spacing is compromised by a hypothetical reel size, fly rods have no reel) Is it safe to assume that the factory fly rod guide spacing is ideal? Or might they try and lower costs by cutting back on the number of guides?

But, I must say that I have been intrigued by the concept system and would be interested in your thoughts on applying the concept system to a spey rod.

Also, what do you think about the second guide 4" from the stripper theory?

Thanks

Q

[This message has been edited by qhg (edited 11-20-2001).]

Hi Q,

I have not had the opportunity to build a Spey Rod yet. However, the same principles apply as in all fly rods.

I cannot comment on if there are any advantages using the concept system for this application. However, since it is the fly line that is loading the rod and is required to shoot through the guides, I would think that you need only enough guides to properly load the rod under the stress of fighting a fish offset by it's ability to not restrict the shooting capability of the line in contact with the guides. Also, because you are using a relative thick diameter line you would want the largest practical ring size on the guide with an oversized tip.

Typically a high-end factory fly rod has a guide for every foot of length plus one. So, for a 15 foot rod that equates to 16 guides. You can easily add at least one more guide to improve loading the rod.

Q, I am a firm believer in the 2nd stripping guide. It improves the length of the shoot by a minimum of 20%. I have recommended this to others on the Board and and were also amazed with the results. We are even playing with this idea on conventional casting rods and it also appears to work well.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Al

Q,

Here is Loomis' spacing

FR18010/11 GLX 3PC 5 1/2, 12, 20 1/2, 31, 43, 57, 73, 91 1/2, 112, 135. Interesting. They use the same amount of guides as they do on their 9' rods. The stripper guide is 45" from the butt.

My thoughts on the concept thing.. fly rods already use the lightest smallest guides avaiable. You really don't have room to chop any weight by using smaller, lighter guides.

As for the extra stripper, I took Al's advice and added on on the last #10 I built and it certainly helps.

Good luck.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

I am leaning towards adding a few more guides than the 10 that Loomis uses, although I have not even seen the blank, it is being shipped to me today.

Does the # of quides have any relation to the action of the rod?

(That is that a stiff rod does not require as many guides as a noodle rod)

If not, what determines the guide placement on a fly rod?

-Q

Q, I have a 15' 10 weight built on a Fisher Blank. It was made by Mike Maxwell in British Columbia a well respected spey fishermen. He built this rod for me back in 1993. It brings back sweet memories to look at this rod again. Its been along time since I have fished it. This year I may head north, atleast I'd like to think so. At any rate the guide placement is first guide 7" from the tip then, 13.5, 21.25, 31.5, 42, 53.5, 67.5, 81.5, 96, 112.5, 128, 144. He set it up with a wire frame top with a shock ring and ceramic incert. Then it has wire frame double foot guides 4 #14 inner ring size, 3 #18 ring, 3 #22 ring, then a wire frame #20 with shock ring and ceramic incert. This is a true spey casting rod not an overhead casting rod. It has a very parabolic slow action. The furrels have what look like graphite incerts glued in the bottom section of the blank and the other end fits the female section of the upper rod sections. (dont know what that type of furreling is called) By the way distance with this rod is not even an issue. You have 15 ft of blank, 30ft of line beyond the tip, 10 ft of leader, thats 55 ft. Casts of 70+ ft are common by intermediate casters. And if you fish a shooting head - running line system and cast over head the distance is mind boggling. Hope this helps you, Bruce.

ghg

It is interesting that you mention that the fly reel is of no consequence to the stripping guide on as spinning rod. Keep in mind that the reel will affect the balance of the rod. I am not sure how that applies to a two handed rod but on a single handed rod the weight of the reel significantly affects how the rod cast. On a rod I built recently I added lead weight to the inside of the blank to help the rod with reel to balance on my second finger. Without the weight the rod/reel combo would have been top heavy.