Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ed J

Sand paper?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I read here a while back about sanding epoxy that didn't come out the way ya wanted.

Well, I have a rod er 2 that have some spots that I'd like to sand. There mostly butt wrap areas or wraps for the female side of a ferrule that have lumps or sags etc.

Santa brought me a lathe, so I'm ready to do this. I picked up a wet sand paper variety pack yesterday that goes 220 to 400 grit, I'm guess'in that the 220 will remove the "bad" material and the 400 will smooth it out. Is the 400 fine enough to get the epoxy smooth enough?

Also, what grit(s) are you using for shaping cork?

Be very careful with the 220 grit since you can easily cut into the threads. Use a wooden black to back the 220 paper and sand out the lumps by hand. When the surface feels smooth then finish with the 400 wet. Clean the sanded area thoroughly with iso alcohol and a lintfree rag.

The best thing to sand cork with is drywall sand screen medium and fine. It cuts way down on the dust.

Ed - I've been doing a TON of sanding the past 2 days (mostly foam (about 25 squares of Customgrip, & a 16" butt grip and 8 inch cork foregrip as well) Go to Home Depot, spend $40 on a Rigid Shop Vac. This is a NECCESITY if you have a lathe where you plan on shaping cork or foam. You have no idea how much dust, debris, etc, etc, etc there was, but it all stayed right around my lathe because of the shop vac. I even had 3 rods with about 16 total hours worth of butt wraps with NO CP or epoxy on them about 10 feet away, and they stayed clean (luckily for me - lol)

As for sanding the butt wrap, I use the 220 and just put the epoxy right over that. I so clean with a paper towel & denatured. As long as you don't sand too hard and "chunk" or groove the finished epoxy, the new coating of epoxy will fill in. If it makes you feel better use 320/400 after teh 220, but I never do.

Ed - how far are you from the Verrazano BRidge?

Best of the sandpapers available is if course imported from Japan sold under the name Fincat, it can be found online at some of the better wood working sites provides far less cloging and goes all the way to 600 grit. A wood workers secret

John

Cool, these are answers are kinda what I would have tried if I had know where to ask, but I do, so I did cwm12.gif . Then again, I dunno if I ever would have thought about sanding to begin with, so getting that idear here brings things full circle smile.gif .

I picked up some dry wall screen when I grabed the wet sand, so I'm off to the races with the cork (bought some cheap preformed grips and only a small part needs to be shaped, but what's the point of tearing it up with the wrong stuff when the answers are at yer finger tips so to speak, thanks Al. And the backing with something was something I didn't think of, thanks Gad.

I've got the shop vac and used it the first try on the cork that I did W/ a file Billy, I'm in the house with the lathe, so keeping down the mess................... Well it's either do it, or get a left hook form my wife cwm31.gif .

I'm about 1.5 hours from the bridge W/ no traffic, Billy, W/ traffic, that's anybody's guess redface.gif . But I'm on LI at least 1 or twice a month. I'm in Hicksville 9 AM, 4 PM Wed. 2/4 & Ronkonkoma 4 PM to 8 PM on Thus. 2/5. Whatcha got in mind Billy?