Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianZ

thread?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Al,

What is the difference between size A & D, gudebrod thread? whats a good underwrap , and whats a good overwrap? how many guides will 100 yds getcha? thanks in advance smile.gif

Brian,

Gudebrod makes thread in the following sizes from thinnest to thickest:

Size 00 - the thinnest of all thread. Used for very light fly rods.

Size A - Used primarily to underwrap guides and for overwraps on fly and light freshwater rods.

Size C NCP Only - Can be used as an underwrap on heavier rods and also as an overwrap.

Size D - Used primarily as an overwrap on most rods other than the very lightest.

Size E - Used on the heaviest of rods like regulation tuna rods. However, this is very heavy thread and does not finish well.

For 99% 0f my saltwater applications I use Size A NCP as an underwrap and size C or D as an overwrap. For the heaviest of saltwater applications, like offshore rods, I use size A under and two layers of size C or D over, applying a thin coat of finish between each wrap layer.

Al

As far as 100 yard spools...get the 1oz. If you are going to under wrap multiple guides and underwrap diamonds or other decorations 100 yards may not be enough...nothing worse than running out of thread with one eye left to do.

It is hard to say how far a spool will go, Size D will do more than Size A and a size 60 double foot spinning guide will take five times as much thread as a size 10 single foot guide biggrin.gif hope this helps, Gary

Hey Al G.

A bunch of us are going togging on Tuesday. Sheepshead bay on the Prime Time. Wanna go? BTW: I spoke to Dan and Ken.. we are going to your house the following Saturday. Also...I will see ya this Saturday morning!

Call me bud.

"Crazy" Alberto