Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lee S

Nickel Silver in Saltwater

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Hi Al

While I know that anodized aluminum is superior for saltwater use I have a rod with nickel silver reel seat fittings I would like to use for light saltwater fish (5 wt fly rod) - small bluefish, shad etc. Is this an extremely bad idea - will it corrode the reel seat over time or is it ok? How can I clean it after use to keep it in good shape?

Thanks

Lee

[This message has been edited by Lee S (edited 01-28-2001).]

Lee,

I am sure you could fish with it in saltwater. Just be very meticulous in cleaning and waxing the reelseat after each use. Saltwater can corrode just about anything over time.

I would reconsider using it and move up to probably a 7 weight at a minimum. It will give you just a little bit more to punch out a line.

Al

Al,

Thanks for your response! I have a 7 wt and other rods up to a 10 wt. I just happened to get a good deal on a 5 wt I couldn't resistsmile.gif. I thought the 5 wt maybe more fun when the fish are running particularly small at certain times of the year. I may give it some freshwater use but not often. How do you recommend cleaning it after saltwater use (warm water and gentle soap) and what exactly do you mean by waxing it? Do you mean wax the threads in the reel seat? Do you recommend any specific type of wax?

Thanks very much again!!

Lee