Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mafuti

Fenwick vs Lamiglas

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

The honey colored Fenwicks are regular "E" glass, like the honey Lamis.

The S-glass, or "Fenglass" models were chocolate brown and white. The brown ones aren't translucent like the Lami S-glass (one way to tell 'em apart if there's no label left on the blank).

How do you tell a Lami from a Fenwick in the honey color? I have two old honey colored, hand wrapped rods and would like to ID them.

[ 09-10-2005, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: 1dozenraw ]

How do you tell a Lami from a Fenwick in the honey color? I have two old honey colored, hand wrapped rods and would like to ID them.

It's really tough, especially if the blank was cut from the tip, as many were. Fenwick's mustard might have been like a quarter shade lighter, but they both fade a bit over time. The only fool proof way is the label, and that was often buried under the butt grip.

Telling Fenwick's S-glass from Lami's is easier because Fenwicks were never translucent.

I ran into a guy at the breechway near me and asked him.... He seems to have been around a while. He immediately responded that with a magnifying glass I could see how the blank was wrapped. The old Fenwicks were made with a circular pattern and the old Lamiglas blanks were made with a cross hatch pattern. I have not yet checked this on the two rods. Any thoughts on his information?? Thanks.