Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
old_username

loomis 1324 vs. arra 1321

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Hi everybody. First time poster on this forum after being avid reader for a few months. I have decided that it's time to get a big plugging stick with a sweet spot around 2 oz or so. So far I have narrowed it down to two choices mentioned above. I have very little first hand experience with these two rods and I would really appreciate if you could give me some opinions on the pros and cons of these two. I am not so much concerned about the warranty issues, but more with the performance aspects. The two most important questions I have are about the casting characteristics and fish fighting abilities. Does the loomis cast as well as the arra. Since the arras are designed with casting in mind is it better suited for more advanced casting methods, like the overhead and the pendilum (should I ever get the swing of it). Since I my favorite method of fishing is with bucktails is the loomis better suited for throwing bucktails and metal due to its faster action which I prefer.

Thanks for your help,

dtd

Dtd, I dont know about the Loomis, But I have an xra1204 that is wraped as a spinning rod. It has all single foot guides starting with a ysg30 ysg25 ysg20, lvsg20, lvsg20 and a 20 tip. I use 20lb power pro on a large faced reel. It cast a 2.25 oz pencil popper a mile. For my particular rod 2.25 is the sweet spot. It's light and I can fish it all night long without and problems. I also have a xra1205 setup the same way except I used a 40hh for the stripper and dropped of a lvsg20 on the end. The sweet spot is around 3.5 oz, with 50lb power pro and a big spinning reel. The gibbs (large 3.25oz) pencil popper loads the rod pretty well. I wanted a rod in between these to and today I went out an bought a 1321L and it seems to be a little more stiff than the 1204 and is a foot longer. I would think the sweet spot would be about 2.75 to 3 oz. Now the only decision is conventional or spinning? Hope this helps Bruce

Dusk,

I have a lot more experience with the XRA 1321 than the Loomis, but here's my somewhat biased opinion. The Loomis rods are certainly faster, if that's what ya like. My 1321 is a spinner, by the way.

It sounds like you're talking about a factory rod. If so, I'd go for the Lami. The tape loomis uses will make chopmeat of your hands, waders or anything else it rubbs all night. I hgave a ton of Loomis fly rods and freshwater sticks, but when it comes to surf rods, Lamis are usually prefered. Another warning about the Loomis of today. A few years ago, they were purchased by Shimano. As expected, quality has gone done hill, in some cases, big time. The Loomis factory surf rods have gone thru a couple of component/configuration changes, so you never know what your getting unless you're very familiar with the line and the changes. Hope I didn''t confuse the issue for you.