Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flyak

Problem reaming out a cork grip

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.

I'm building my first fly rod, a 4pc 4 wt kit. I bought the 3 pc reamer set from Cabela's and the smallest reamer in the set is too big for the cork grip that came in the rod kit. It only gets about half way into the grip. Should I use more force and risk breaking the grip or is there a source to buy a smaller reamer that would work better? Thanks for the help. -Ed

------------------

flyak

f,

after a while of building rods, you'll have lots of reamers of different sizes and diameters. For now, the easiers thing to do is go to the hardware store and by a rat tail file, which is round and tapered. It should do it for a 4 wt grip.

Or

If you have a few broken rods around which I am sure we all do take the guides & thread off on ethat matches the Od and get some abrasive grit and epoxy. Mit the epoxy spread on broken blank ans sprinkle the grit on the epoxy. Cheap reamers. Wooden dowels will do in apinch

f,

after a while of building rods, you'll have lots of reamers of different sizes and diameters. For now, the easiers thing to do is go to the hardware store and by a rat tail file, which is round and tapered. It should do it for a 4 wt grip.

You can even chuck the file in a drill to speed things up smile.gif

WOW! You guys are fast, and helpful...and GENERIOUS too! Thanks Sharon for your offer, I sent you an email. All the great advise and encouragement should get me over this hurdle. Thanks again. -Ed

------------------

flyak