Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ACKer

Best Distance Rod?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I posted this question on the main forum, but will probably get a better answer here.

I'm looking to heave 3oz bucktails as far as possible into the teeth of the Nantucket winds. I've been using an 11' St. Croix BD spinning rod, and while it loads 3 ounces well, it wears me out. I'm 6' tall, and a very experienced caster. I'll be using 30# power pro and a Daiwa EM-X5000T reel. I will occasionally go lighter than 3 ounces, (never heavier), but I definitely want a rod that can handle 3oz without overloading. I'd like one piece, and expect that I'll probably have to get it custom built. I'm currently using both Loomis and Lami rods for the smaller/lighter applications, but don't know whether I should be looking at Breakaways or other models. What's your recommendation? (Lami 1321)? Thanks.

The two blanks I would go with are the Lami XRA1322 or the GSB1321M. Both have a sweet spot of 3 ounces and can really reach out.

The right blank is only the first step in building a "Casting machine". Proper spining, guide selection and placement and handle length all are important issues to consider.

Al

The XRA1322 is a higher modulus graphite and a little more expensive then the GSB1321M. However, both are casting machines.

The Breakaways are typically faster in action and are less expensive then the Lamiglas.

Al