Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeB

Fly Rod Question

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Through searches and lurking here for sometime, I seem to remember coming across the notion that building a flyrod is "different" and/or "more difficult". Is this true, or am I imagining things? wink.gif If this is true, why? I am getting started in rod building primarily to help offset the extreme costs involved in the high-end flyrods out there!

Honestly, it's not more difficult but it is a bit more involved due to all the extra wraps. A few things to try to incorporate into your layout...

Try to get a static stress layout that puts guides on the center or back end of the ferrules. This makes a rod that is less prone to breakage under heavy load.

Stay away from nickel silver hardware in a rod that will see the salt.

The Fuji graphite/stainless fly seat is ugly and holds a reel better than almost any other seat and is very very durable in the salt.

Go with ceramic guides in either Alconite (for a cost savings) or titanium framed Sic and only use Fuji guides.

Use a double footed stripper.

Have fun!!

CD

Canyon,

good advice, having built tons of surf sticks, the big difference between fly rods and surf etc, is that everything is smaller.. thinner diameter line, shorter wraps, a little more precise and neater maybe. not more difficult, maybe a little more time consuming and also I had to make use of my "spot light" alittle more to see better.

BC

Hey Gadwall...

If you'd learn to mortise the hood neatly and make a flawless finish it wouldn't look so cheap! biggrin.giftongue.gif

You should see my 14 weight sage with the Pate marlin hanging on it. It looks pretty $$ to me icon14.gif

CD

Hey Gadwall...

If you'd learn to mortise the hood neatly and make a flawless finish it wouldn't look so cheap! biggrin.giftongue.gif

You should see my 14 weight sage with the Pate marlin hanging on it. It looks pretty $$ to me icon14.gif

CD

You can polish a turd, but, it will never be more than a piece of $hit.

That Gadballs is funny biggrin.gif

canyon is right, nothing holds better than a fuji seat. and they happen to be cheap and corrosion free. An aluminum REC seat isn't a bad option on a salt rod either, just make sure you order an extra lock nut.

Don't worry Gadwall, when we hit the salt, I'll make you a shakespeare flyrod with a Venneri seat...

Ya big meanie tongue.gif

Dude, you are cracking me up... I can't stop chuckling icon14.gif

If it's ant consolation, most of my salt fly rods sport a billet machined titanium seat modeled after the Powell style seat with the hoods that are made from full round stock. They hold a reel beautifully, but at $75.00 it's pretty costly.

Hey Oz, Next thing you know I'll be using Ti framed Gold Cermets or Sic guides. Oh wait... I already do use those biggrin.gif

CD

Hey Oz, Next thing you know I'll be using Ti framed Gold Cermets or Sic guides. Oh wait... I already do use those biggrin.gif

CD

You are, Fire Island to the core tongue.gif

You better watch it pal... I have fighting BUTTS on some of my rods biggrin.gif

BTW, what seats do you like for salty fly rods?

These forums are for learning so lets give this guy some options on the rod he's building.

I wouldn't want him to learn that fly fishing makes idiots out of us... Oh damn, I gave away another secret rolleyes.gif

CD

I think fly rods are a bit more tricky for a beginner just because they are so much more flexible. It makes achieving smooth even wraps and getting a perfect level epoxy finish a tad more difficult. You just need to be a little more careful...

Spend an extra $40 and go with the Fuji titanium alloy guides. It is well worth it to never have to worry about your guides rusting, and the SIC material is slicker than snail snot. It will shoot line like a dream.

About the seats- that really is a tough call. For heavy rods I like the big diameter Strubles personally... Any you couldn't pay me to put a Fuji on there. They look like they belong on a spinning rod, but on a fly rod it just cries out "blue light special."

Guides rusting for an extra $40??? Ive been fishing and building rods for years and Ive never seen a quality guide rust. I use BSVLG's on my spinning rods and never, not one single guide has ever rusted. I wouldnt justify spending an extra $40 purely because the wont rust. $3 guides dont rust. if $40 gave me an extra 15-20 ft on my cast then maybe Id consider it!

BC

Guides rusting for an extra $40??? Ive been fishing and building rods for years and Ive never seen a quality guide rust. I use BSVLG's on my spinning rods and never, not one single guide has ever rusted. I wouldnt justify spending an extra $40 purely because the wont rust. $3 guides dont rust. if $40 gave me an extra 15-20 ft on my cast then maybe Id consider it!

BC

I have seen a LOT of rusted Fuji guides. I wrapped a set of 9(!!!) Lami's for a charter Capt. two years ago with Fuji BNLG's and half of them had surface rust within a year. It all depends on how they are taken care of, of course, and it's obvious he didn't clean them off after every trip (and he keeps them in a damp basement). Of course, these are all long double wraps... You want some pictures or something??