Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roddesigner

Ugly Sticks-no more

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Not that I ever bought any or planned to, but I wonder what the heck their thinking is behind this move. You'd think they'd be happy for any market share they could hang onto these days and having custom stuff built on their blanks - I know they see a fair bit of that in FL for certain applications - would only enhance their rep a bit by association at least.

I never could see a reason to build a casting rod on an Ugly Stick, but for sheer durability and hoop strength, they're hard to beat, make a heck of a tough partyboat rod. Is this the end of "Howald Process" rods?

I guess Shakespear is getting out of the rod blank business because of lack of sales .

I'd say the Shakespeare ugly stick blank is one of the best if not the best saltwater rod blank there is and inexpensive to boot . Very under-rated . Many people don't know it is a graphite glass composite . Lighter ,stronger, and more durable than many of the more popular saltwater rod blanks . The guts-n-butt blank GBU845 and GBU846 are the ones I'll mis the most . I guess I can buy an ugly stick at most of the department super store chains and strip it for the blank . It would be more work but would still be cheaper than most rod blanks .

Other than durability, I don't see what the big fuss is about on Ugly Sticks. I consider them to be the most commercially successful crappy rods ever designed. I once built a jetty rod on an Ugly Stick blank and it felt like a big wet noodle, so I immediately sold it.

Personally, I think their biggest selling point was that the name was kind of cool. When I see someone on the beach with an Ugly Stick I know they are just a once-a-year fisherman.

"> I consider them to be the most commercially successful crappy rods ever designed. I once built a jetty rod on an Ugly Stick blank and it felt like a big wet noodle, so I immediately sold it.

Maybe it was the targeted use and/or the way you set it up.

From Al Goldberg's article on building a cod rod:

"Note, The Shakespeare GBU120-6 is a surf blank that is inexpensive, very versatile and extremely durable. It is a real sleeper for this type of application. You can make three different codfish rods from this blank by trimming the tip back as follows:

Trimmed to a #12 tip and then from the butt to the desire length it makes a great bait and light jig rod.

Trimmed to a #14 tip you now have a medium Georges Bank jig stick for up to 16 ounces.

Trimmed to a #16 or #18 tip you a heavy jig stick for up to 24 ounces. A real "war club"."

Cutting back the tip takes the whippiness/wet noodle feel away and you end up with an excellent, durable yet light weight rod (I built 2 of them)- at $55 for the blank.

"> When I see someone on the beach with an Ugly Stick I know they are just a once-a-year fisherman.

I don't own any Ugly Sticks anymore but the above quote is ridiculous. Maybe the're someone who doesnt see the need to spend $300 plus on a rod. You just cursed yourself smile.gif Next time out a guy/gal with an Ugly Stick will outfish you smile.gif

Gadabout : I felt much like you about Ugly Sticks in the past but changed my mind when I was forced to make a spiraled wraped rod for the Vice President of the company I work for .

This guy is like a bull in a china closet with a type "A" personality . Can tear up a steel anvil with a rubber hammer .

The Ugly Stick is on it's 2nd season and has seen much abuse from him and our companys clientele . This guy can afford any tackle in the world but believes this is the best fishing rod he has ever owned.

I can't think of a better endorsement.

">...When I see someone on the beach with an Ugly Stick I know they are just a once-a-year fisherman.

I have two three Ugly Sticks in addition to other surf rods that I use:

12' Spinning and a ABU/Garcia 396 Pro reel

12' Conventional and a ABU 10000CL reel

Both rods and reels were purchased brand new in the Summer of 1986 and still working like new. Talk about durability...

They are soft rods though...

Star,

Best rod out there? maybe a VERY Durable rod, maybe inexpensive rod, but BEST? Hardly, they have thier use, but they are nowhere near the best rod out there.

I still own and use them, just please dont distort the facts!

BC

Salt,

never did I tell anyone here or anywhere (for that matter) not to express their opinion. All I did was say that I thought they were wrong...

theres a difference between telling someone not to express opinions and telling them that ugly sticks "are nowhere near the best rod out there."

they are fine rods, usefull, inexpensive, can do lots of things, but to say they are the best, just isnt true.

BC

they are fine rods, usefull, inexpensive, can do lots of things, but to say they are the best, just isnt true.

BC, if yah slow down and read what was written, no one said they are the best rods/blanks out there -

This guy can afford any tackle in the world but believes this is the best fishing rod he has ever owned.

What that means is, outta all the rods this one guy owns, he believes this is the best one that "he has ever owned."

That's the kicker - how can you say he's wrong without knowing which other rods he's owned, who built them and how appropriate they were for what he was trying to use them for smile.gif The devil is in the details wink.gif

Saltheart's right, it's ok to state your opinion, it's ok when it's contrary to other's stated opinions - but when we start to feel that we're somehow entitled to tell others that their opinion is wrong, that's when things start to go downhill smile.gif

TimS