Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vern

finish contamination

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Just wrapped a guide and put some finish on it and noticed some cloudy swirls in it. When it was dry it looks like it has a white powder on it.I wrapped it in my garage and was wondering if humidity was a factor.Thanks for the help.

vern

Tough call. Those "swirls" are usually an indicator of incomplete, inadequately thorough mixing. The mix batch will often appear "marbelized" (or swirled, as you called it) during the mix but that should go clear once the two parts are properly blended. Far as the white haze goes, most all good rod finishes are not very suceptible to humidity levels, but there's so many products out there now it's hard to say with complete certainty. Some ultra-fast set finishes and lacquers - not really rod finishes - certainly can trap moisture and show a cloudy haze. What did you use on this one?

I do agree with what Bill said, you probably didn't mix it properly. humidity doesnt' affect epoxy, allegedly you cn pour the finihs into a glass of water and it will set up just fine. Haven't tried this myself.

I've noticed teh REsin in my Glass Coat is very cloudy, even though my shop is 70 degrees. I haven't noticed a problem though when I mix it with teh hardener & heat it. MAybe your REsin is cloudy, and stays that way after mixing? I dunno, I'm grasping at straws.

improper mixing for sure. Try stiring the flex coat for atleast 2 minutes prior to using. I don't recomend things like popcycle sticks to stir they just cause airation in the epoxy. use a smooth round plastic or glass rod to stir Big Dave

[ 08-14-2004, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Big Dave ]

Dave's right -improper mixing- I know because it happened to me on the first rod I ever built and never again when mixed properly. I mix with the handle of a stainless steel spoon in a shot glass, holding the spoon against the side and turning the glass, folds the two parts together, not stirs, 2-3 minutes, crystal clear, no bubbles.

Billy,

Had similar issue with Glascoat resin in that it was cloudy and had began to solidify. Close examination showed lots of white specs. Heating the stuff in the microwave (before mixing) for a few seconds turned it gin clear however.

Steve

I agree with the above posts. It sounds like either the resin was cloudy prior to mixing (heat in hot water or microwave until clear) or improper mixing. I always heat the resin in hot water prior to use. I mix in a shot glass with a marble for at least 3 minutes (egg timer). Avoid using wood or anything flat to reduce introducing bubbles.

Gentle Ben

Thanks for the help guys,heres the deal.

I mixed the flex coat for at least two minutes but the finish was as clear as can be.The finish went on fine,very clear, but started to get screwed up after a couple of minutes.The only way i can describe it is it looks like theres something in it at first,almost like gas on a wet driveway,then as it drys it looks as though theres powder in it.One thing for sure is that the finish is mixed well and crystal clear before i apply. thanks guys

vern

Did you by chance use a waterbased color preserver on the wraps first- have had poor results w/water based cp-if so dump it and try Gudebrod 811S cp

wink.gif

Two minutes is not long enough to mix - go at least three, if not four, just to be sure everything is as it should be.

There is one more possible scenario that could explain your problem. While high humidity is not a problem for epoxy, a combination of very high humidity and a very high concentration of carbon dioxide can and often do create an oily, swirly, situation on and in your epoxy. You can usually feel the oiliness on the set finish and even wipe it off to some degree, but it will return for several days. Exposing the rod to a dry, warm area or sitting it in the sunlight can help somewhat.

This is a fairly rare scenario called amine blush. In order for the amine carbamate to form you will have to have that high concentration of both water vapor and carbon dioxide. The latter doesn't rear it's head very often, but depending on where you are and the situation you may be finishing under, it could be your problem.

You will find Flex Coat, Glass Coat and Classic Coat to be suseptible to this, but not LS Supreme. The amine used in Supreme is not nearly as prone to react this way. But again, even with those suseptible to amine blush, it's a very rare occurance. I wouldn't let it put me off of my finish of choice. But I might consider the situation and try to make sure that combination of high humidity and high carbon dioxide content was not present before I applied finish again. If, that is, this is the problem. Since you only mixed for two minutes, there is still a strong likelyhood that your problem could lie there as well.

Thanks Tom, well I think that says it all.When i get bubbles in the finish i blow on it like im cleaning glasses.This always gets the bubbles out and ive never had a problem until now.I guess ill try another method of removing the bubbles. Thanks again.

Vern