Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cast Away

Need some help: rod reel setup

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

What's up guys, looking for a new setup and need some advice. I've utilized the search button and researched for weeks. I know it's been beaten to death, and don't want this to turn into a 'just get a vs' thread. I've also asked a few members on here and appreciate the help they've given me and thank them.

Looking at either the ZB22 or ZB25. Plan on matching it up to an arra 1084 for my go to fall setup in nj. I am leaning heavily towards the 22 with the 9ft, I think it'll be a sweet match. I will also need to match it up with a larger rod when I head east or when conditions call for it.

Basically, I know all the specs, capacity, weights same body size etc etc of the ZB's. My concerns are with the 2.25" spool on the 22 vs the 2.5" on the 25. Will I be undergunned, on the 10'-10'6" rods with the 22 spool size, in terms of casting and capacity? Weight diff is minimal and is a non issue. I have also compared the 25 to my VS200 and must say they are similar. Never held a 22 as not too many dealers in my area.

Any first hand experience will be appreciated with either the 22 or 25 on 9' and 10'+ rods. Thanks guys.

Go with the 25 it will work fine with a 9' rod and if you decided to use it with a 10-11' it will also work perfectly while the 22 will not work as well with a 10'+ or 11' rod. The weight difference will not make that much of difference after a few nights out with the reel

Thanks rapid,

When I played with the 25 it seemed almost identical to the size of my 200. Just seems like it would be a little 'large' on a 9', even though the weights are similar on the 22 and 25.

Will the 22 really be that undergunned with a 10'? Don't see myself going any larger, and may move down to SE florida eventually where i don't see many people with larger rods. Not sure if I'm overthinking all this.

I have the 22bailed reel on my 9 foot Legend and the 25 bailed on my 10'6". I would not hesitate to use my 22 on any rod in the 10 foot range.

Not up on the zb specs but personally if the weight is very similar id go with larger reel. That being said I think the zb 22 would compare to a vs175 if they made it and that would match up very good on both rods. I have a vs150 that I used to use on my 10'6" rod and had no complaints. I now have a 200 though for the 10'6" and my 150 is on my 9'er.

Recovering from eye surgery and couldn't respond the last few days.

Thanks for all the knowledge guys. Appreciate the responses I've been getting. The main concern is the differences in spool diameter and how they may affect casting. Guess I have to just choose one and roll with it.

I have the zx22 in both bailed and bailless and zx25 bailless and i barley use the 25. The 22 fits all/most my needs and than some more. The 25 isnt much bigger or heavier either but just the 22 size is so versatile and not a small reel by any means and more than strong enough to pull cows in, i love it. Isnt as small as the vs150 and not as big as the vs200 so fits me perfect. But the 25 size will fit the heavy type of fishing as well with rods 10' and over IMO feels normal, if i go 9' rod with the 25 it feels a bit overkill but the zx25 fits most needs as well too. I think you should def try it out at a store before getting one. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cast Away View Post

Thanks bulrplehaze, do you use the 22 on the 10'? How have your experiences been?

I use the 22 on the 9'6 slingshot and 10' legend and 10'6 predator. They fit perfect and balanced for me for all those size rods. But i did first get the 25 size because i planned on only having 1 ZB reel so i got the 25 thinking ill scrafice a little weight and have the bigger stronger 25 rather than the 22 but after getting the 22, its a bit more comfortable and less wear on yourself than a 25 which is why i use the 22 now. But the 22/25 you cant go wrong with either one. I really think 22 is more than enough for all surf application up to 11 ft rods. I dont like anything over 10'6 so i never tried the 22 on the 11 but im sure the 25 will fit better on the 11' rod. I did try the 25 on a 9' rod and it was a bit overkill but at 10' rod the 25 wasnt so bad and felt pretty well balanced. Hope this helps. I went from ALL vs150 vs200 vs250 to all ZB now. 

1 thing you should know about the ZB's are the interchangable rotors. You can get a bailed rotor and handle only and have yourself a bailed reel and bailless reel. All zb models use same body 20/22/25/27. 20 and 22 shares same rotor size and spool is differnt size but interchangeable, 25 and 27 shares same rotor size and spools are different but compatible with each other.

So 20 and 22 difference is only the spool. 25 and 27 is only the spool. 20 and 25 is the rotor and spool body is same etc.

Awesome man, thanks for taking the time. I have a 9' and 10' now, and don't see myself ever going longer than 10'6. I think the 22 is gonna get the nod as it seems like it'll do it all. And as you said, I can always get a spare spool/rotor and upsize in the future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cast Away View Post

Awesome man, thanks for taking the time. I have a 9' and 10' now, and don't see myself ever going longer than 10'6. I think the 22 is gonna get the nod as it seems like it'll do it all. And as you said, I can always get a spare spool/rotor and upsize in the future.

Youll never go wrong with a ZB-22 imo. =) good luck!

Thanks Ray,

Pulled the trigger on a 22. Now what 9'er to match it to. Thinking legend, gsb, or arra. I had the 10.6 lighter legend. Loved the action, but wasn't crazy about the length. I think the 9 will be more fun.

How do you feel between the 2?

Check out the fiberstar composites rods too. Awesome rods (as are the others you have listed). Best way I can describe them is a cross between a century ss and a gsb. I believe they are based off the old all star rods. My buddy has the area 9'er and loves it.