Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rickhern

9' surf spinner for the better half

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

wondering if you could recomend a blank for light surf for my wife. The rod will be made up as a spinner, although she does throw conventional very well. The problem is, she is 5'3", 120lbs. and she really can't swing more than a 2 oz. lure. Ideally, looking for something easy to cast 1/2 to 1-1/2. we fish from the canal to the vineyard and she is obsessed with catching a bonito this year. I am wondering if a slower action rod, even in glass, might be better. Also interested in the new concept guide setup. The better she likes it, the more I get to fish!!

Thanks

Rick

Rick,

A Lami GSB1081L or the Arra 1204 are two excellent blanks in that lure range. Set these up with the Fuji Concept YSG SIC or YAG Alconite single foot high-frame guides and you will have a light casting machine.

Al

Hey Rick,

You might want to check out the Rainshadow 1087. Its a 8'10" graphite/glass composite blank. Its really light in weight. It can definetly do 1.5 oz +, and still step down and throw plugs under an ounce with no problems. Its a great blank.

John

[This message has been edited by Smilin' Bill (edited 03-04-2003).]

ToddV's recommendation is sound.. slapped a 10 foot triflex in my wife's hand with a 2600 SS daiwa this past fall... she loved it and caught most of the fish.... again....

the 9.5 footer or 9 footer would be great.. it took about 3 and bait for my wife to load the 10 footer well..

------------------

I may be small... But I'm slow!!