Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Catskill John

Not what I ordered !

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Came home tonight and was happy to see a long tube on my front porch, ah! my Breahaway 1508 blank had arrived. When I opened it, the butt end had a bar code label that read Rainshadow 1508,the invoice read the same, cwm13.gif I tried calling the supplier, but it was too late in the day, will call tomorrow.

How does this blank compare to a Breakaway?

Preformance? Price? Reputation? Should I return it? confused.gif All input will be helpful.

Thanks -- John

The breakaways are build on all-star blanks. The Rainshadows are similar enough that some places like Hatteras outfitters has switched over to them. Not sure how they compare on price. I have a RainShadow 1508 but haven't wrapped it yet and never played with the Breakaway.

Other blanks in the rainshadow line have gotten very good reviews here. I bought about 5 of them recently.

I think unless their is a price difference or you really wanted an all star blank you'll be fine.

Did the place you boought it from say any thing about substituting blanks?

It doesn't matter to me if it's Breakaway or Rainshadow as long as the quality and preformance are near the same. I was never told about a substitute replacement, I'll call in a couple hours. Thanks

I've built on a few Rainshadows now and really like them. That being said if you ordered and paid the price for an Allstar (Breakaway) you should get an Allstar. On every blank I've seen the price point is comparitively much lower on the Rainshadow than the Allstar.

I've heard that since Shakespeare has acquired All Star, they're no longer offering blanks, just finished rods. I have noticed that their web site no longer lists any blanks in the Elite series, which is the product line that their surf blanks were in.

Rainshadow SU blanks---the ones that closely match All Star---are priced significantly higher than blanks with the same number in the SW line.

I called the supplier of my blank, he said they have been using Rainshadow for about 2 years.

When I ordered it, I didn't mention AllStar, just Breakaway 1508, and thats the blank he uses. Also the price quote was based on Rainshadow's price list.

Knowing his reputation, I feel comfortable keeping and wrapping this blank. Thanks to all, John wink.gif

All Star is still making blanks. Although I understand that some SKU numbers are to be deleted.

If you call Breakaway USA in Texas and buy a blank, custom, or factory rod from them it will be a Rainshadow and not All Star

If you call someplace and ask for an All Star Breakaway and recieve a Rainshadow or vice versa then thats a problem