Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bait O' Eggs

Spiral wrap question

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I have tied several steelhead rods spiral wrap and really like fishing them.

I am contemplating wrapping a very heavy 7 ft offshore type rod spiral also. My question is will the spiral wrap remove all of the torsion experienced in the butt of the rod?

Currently I fish rods with Gimbal butts and fighting belts to offset the force it takes to keep the reel on top of the rod. By Spiral wrapping the rod will all of the torsion be removed that I have to deal with to keep the reel on top of the rod as I pull in a large Halibut from 600 + feet. I would like to do away with the gimbal butt and belt.

I hope I asked that so it is understood confused.gif

BoE - In theory, yes it will. I would say it definately does, but I have never fished a rod like this before, so I will not say for sure. On lighter rods, it 1000% does, as you already know. Based on that, I am confident in stating that you can remove the gimbal and save the belt for Tuna.

Ya might want to keep the gimbal for a rod like that and have a rubber cap to slip over it for beltless fighting.

Its good to have the option and if you are sticking the rod in a holder it will keep things in position when not under load.

Thanks, I figured in theory it would remove the torsion of the rod, as a spinning rod has no torsion affect. But wanted to confirm with somebody on a stiff salt rod.

I tried to explain it to an old salt last night and he just wasnt biting on that bait hammer-time.gif and told me casting style rods want to twist and that is the way it is.

I will find out soon as the underwrap goes on tonight.

Only 3 more weeks before the first Oregon Halibut day.

Since you are that close to wrapping the rod - you owe us a breakdown. Blank, guides, handle material, and reel seat selection.

It could be worse, I could've "ordered" you to supply us with Halibut steaks, lol. That is something I've always wanted to do, one day I will, when I have the pennies to spare.

Blank, guides, handle material, and reel seat selection.

Blank is a Forecast SWB70MH E-Glass, 7 foot, 15-30lb, handle is rope wrap, reel seat is a Fuji size 22 graphite seat with trigger. I dont know if I am going to like the trigger or not but none of my other heavy salt type rods have triggers and I am very use to them on salmon rods and wanted to try one on this style of rod. I will outfit it with a Penn 4/0 Senator loaded with 80 lb toughline.

I will make it my standard "Pimp Daddy" style rod with multiple color thread and glitter in the finish. cool.gif

You only need to catch one of these fish from 600 + feet to decide an electric reel may be worth the money. icon25.gif It takes 3 minutes for the 4 lb weight to get to the bottom eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif 10 minute of winding for a bait check is a real pain waaah.gif

I have been building offshore stand up and deep jigging rods for several years using the spiral wrap. It definitely does eliminate the torquing of the rod under the load of fighting a fish.

Al G.

Definitely eliminates torque - I used a spiral wrapped rod cod fishing using 20oz weights in 250ft of water. Bait check, nah, it's OK!