Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
seahoze

Broken Fly Rod

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Al

I got a new 9'9" St. Croix 7wt. for my birthday last week......

Here it comes........

Today the line and the tip got sucked into my vacuum cleaner.......great, right?

In any case, it's broken in about 4 spots between the tip top and the last snake guide....

Is this fixable?

I've broken spinning rods before and just popped a new tip on, but that's obviously not gonna work here!!!!

thanks for the help!

Seahoze Larry

Al, I'm going to jump in here real quick. Larry, take it back to the shop you bought it at. See what they'll do for you as far as an exchange. Otherwise send it right to St Croix. They've been real good with folks.

Just checked my warranty card. They will repair or replace if damaged by accident. Must be sent directly to St Croix though. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Rockhead (edited 02-24-2001).]

Guys

Thanks......I bought the rod from Cabela's and got the thing in the mail on Valentine's Day.

So, I'll call St. Croix and see what they can do.....

The curse of the ex-girlfiend.....I know it's the curse of the ex-girlfriend!!!

Thanks, guys.......

Seahoze Larry

Larry, get a rod tube to protect the rod tip from those hungry vacuum cleaners wink.gif. How'd you have this rod stored that the tip got caught in the vacuum??

Better yet, if you have a lot of rods (or blanks) get a rod rack. I don't have one yet, but definitely going to build a cheeep-o one, or buy one on EBAY. My current setup of leaning the blanks up in one corner and the rods in the other is a disaster waiting to happen.

Billy

Oh, man, I'm tellin' ya.....we're talkin' bad luck, here...a curse or somethin' !!!

I live on a lake and I always carry a rod with me when I walk my dog.....which is about 4 times a day....

So I always have at least one or two rods in my front hallway on a bench all rigged up ready to go.

Today I was vacuuming and bumped my new rod and the fly line fell on the floor and got sucked up by the vacuum....followed by the tip!!!

Granted, I was ultimately to blame because this could have been avoided......but I think this may be hoo-doo or somethin'!

This is also the first rod that I really "snapped".....I've had old rods that the tip went, but never like this....no doors or trees, I'm normally really careful!!!

But today, the tip of my 10 day old fly rod, that I've been waitin' for months to get, got ground up in a vacuum!!!!!!! What are the freakin' chances of that???

Can you imagine what my face looked like, I almost dropped dead!!!!

Why wouldn't my brand new rod get sucked into a stinkin' vacuum?????

Welp, lesson learned!!!

Seahoze

cwm24.gificon25.gificon25.gificon25.gifcwm24.gif

Well, look on the bright side. A lot of companies will take back broken rods no matter how they broke. I read somewhere that they build this into the price of the rod, which is part of the reason the prices of fly rods jumped up so high a couple of years ago.

The other part of the bright side - you live next to a lake. icon20.gif Lucky you.

Billy

A lot of companies will replace a rod due to accidental breakage except G LOOMIS. If I recall correctly from an interview a few years ago in a fly fishing magazine his company would NOT stand behind that replacement policy. The funny thing was out of the all the companies being interviewed G LOOMIS was the only one even though their high end rods were priced right up there with SAGE and the rest of them. Buyer Beware.

Tom-

Loomis now has the expiter (sp?) service. Cal their number, $45 dollars will be charged to a credit card, and they will ship you a rod in two days. Take out the new rod, put your broken one in and ship it back. It will cost you the money, but you will have a rod in 2 days, not weeks or months that the other companies make you wait.

------------------

Matt Baker

Custom Tied Flies

Bristol, RI

I'm with Matt,

I have used Loomis's expedite service. I broke the rod, nothing to do with fishing. Was putting the cover on my boat, had a crank bait hooked on the reel of a MBR783 GL3. A hook musta got stuck on the cover and when I streched it across the boat sumthin hada give. 2 weeks later I was putting some rods in my travel tube to take on vacation, and I find the rod broken in the boat.

I called Loomis that night (a Wednesday) and on Friday morning I had a new replacement rod on my porch. We were leaving on Friday night. I call that service thumbup.gif.

$45 to replace a $200 rod? That was my fault? I have bought a few Loomis products since then, because of the service I received.

------------------

Ed J

edj@stripersonline.com

It was my understanding that Loomis figured in the accounting $ of replacement guarantee.

Gary felt strongly that the guarantee was a marketing "fad" and these other companies would be having trouble meeting their obligations. Maybe that is the reason why the prices are so high. My feeling is if I'm paying that much for a rod, these days it has to have a guarantee.