Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
levari

Custom build for bait rod

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I am looking for a bait rod 8oz+ (5 oz. + bunker head. Does it make sense to build a custom rod? What will be a good blank for this kind of rod and who is a quality builder to build it?

First off it always makes sense to have a custom rod made. Its really up to your budget. there are some pretty good rods on the market for a fair price. But again its all a matter of preference, how much time you will be using the rod. There are quite a few topp notch rod builders around. My advice would be if your going to lay out a few hundred bucks on a custom I suggest doing your homework and find someone you have confidence in. especially if it your first custom rod.

Why does it matter how long I am going to use this

rod? This is a bait rod and not a plugging rod. I will change or check the bait every 15 to 20 minutes?. Rest of the time it will be in the sand spike. Which blank is the best fit for this application and who are the top notch builders for bait rod? The budget is not an issue here as long that it is a fair price.

I know people that fish every day, I also know people that fish 3 days a year. If you only fish the 3 days a year why spend a few hundered bucks on a custom. For the serious fishermen, the demands on equipment are hard. A well made custom will simply outlast and outperform an off the shelf production rod. With fishing equipment the saying you get what you pay for is very true Big Dave

I don't fish every day, the rod will be used probably 10-15 times a year. The issue I am trying to solve is long distance casting of 8+oz. I have few rods that cast very well 6 oz but I am having great difficulties casting bunker heads.

I am afraid that the low cost rods will not help me getting the distance.

One of the rod builders that I dealt in the past was Mark Flynn but I can't find his contact information after he closed his shop.

The issue I am trying to solve is long distance casting of 8+oz. I have few rods that cast very well 6 oz but I am having great difficulties casting bunker heads.

casting 8+oz and giving a reccomendation for 1 rod to do it is gonna be tough smile.gif

i've got 5 heavers & they all cast differently .

your best bet is to try a bunch of heavers & pick the one that suits your casting style .

personaly your aren't going to get a lot of distance with 8+ a bunker head . if i feel i need the distance i throw 8+ a chunk long & keep the head in closer .

just my opinion .......

derf

quote: The issue I am trying to solve is long distance casting of 8+oz. I have few rods that cast very well 6 oz but I am having great difficulties casting bunker heads.

casting 8+oz and giving a reccomendation for 1 rod to do it is gonna be tough smile.gif

i've got 5 heavers & they all cast differently .

your best bet is to try a bunch of heavers & pick the one that suits your casting style .

personaly your aren't going to get a lot of distance with 8+ a bunker head . if i feel i need the distance i throw 8+ a chunk long & keep the head in closer .

just my opinion .......

derf

The total weight is 8oz+. I worked your system all spring long and all the fish went for the chunk and not the bunker head.

I started building my own rods about a year and a half ago, and I can tell you without a doubt that if you can afford it, custom is the way to go. I have a wall full of 8-n-bait Tica's, Pinnacles, and a Daiwa, and while I like them all there is something on every one that I wish was different. Probably my biggest complaint with the store-boughts is their guide type/size selection. I only use the best components on the rods I build, and I control the number of guides, sizes, and reel seat placement on the butt.

As far as throwing a chunk farther than a head, I think the lenght of your hook leader is critical to gaining distance. I've shortened all of my hook leaders to 2 to 3 inches (fish finder setup) and cast a head alot farther than I use to. You should try to find a rod builder in your area, and tell him what you're looking for. Rod builders prices vary quite a bit depending on what type of blank and components you want.

Ditto, but the biggest fish I got last Spring @ (25#s) redface.gif did take a head with no weight. Most fish were caught on clams #16-25# class. Usualley fish one rod with a chunk or head and the other rod is a snotball. I use a 1364M and a 12313M for my Spring chunking, both custom, both glass.

Jeff

A blank recomendation I could make for you would a RainShadow 1508. It's a pretty nice stick for the money, easy to load, and will handle what your looking for with ease. Plus the blanks are inexpensive compared to other rods in its class Big Dave

I spoke with one of the top builders from MA and he recommended to avoid graphite and to use the SB 1215M. A rod builder from NJ suggeted that the GSB 1201M can do the job. 12'6" is too much of a rod to use, I am looking for something smaller.

I own the XS10mh rod and I don't see how this rod can take 8oz+.

Need to continue with my homework.

Levari,

If you are out here on LI I suggest you stop in at Causeway in Wantagh and see Bobby. He makes an awesome rod and will steer you in the right direction. He has made most of the custom rods that now reside in my garage.

Spigola

levari -

if your going to go lami graphite you're better off with a gsb1321m rather than a 1201m , more butt and backbone .

lami e-glass will give you a fine chunker for less money . the 5m would be fine it comes only in 10 feet i believe . however a 4m would be fine also and you can have it made at any length you'd like , say 10 to 11 feet whatever you feel most comfortable with .

all the above rods will throw 8oz. AND a head , even a little more if you need .

p.s. mark started a new job , but he may do some work on the side . i pm'd you his #

I got your PM. Thank you so much, I will call him tonight. I have one more constrain which I should have metioned. The longest 1 piece rod I can get is 10",