Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chipwood

Lamiglas Question

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Al I'm looking for a blank to toss plugs from 1/2-2oz spinning. I'm eyeing the GSB1081L, the GLB1081M and the GSB1081M. I looked over some other questions about these blanks and in the Lamiglas blank catalog it rates the GSB1081L up to 2oz but you stated it was rated to 11/2oz. The GSB1081M in the catalog rates it 2-6oz. Is this too heavy for the light offerings. I'm looking for a blank to use on a lot of the borderline keeper bass but something with enough backbone for a 25-30# fish. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

CW,

The GSB1081M is rated in the 2002 Lami catalog for 1-3 ounces. It is slightly heavier in weight than the 1081L and has a thicker butt ID. It's a favorite summaer surf blank and can handle a good size bass with not too much difficulty. You need to also focus on a reel having an excellent drag system and sufficient line capacity to outlast a good fish.

Al

The VS150 is an ideal size for this rod. There are other reels in ths size range that other members will recommend like the Nautil 6500 and reels from Daiwa and Shimano.

I have both the 1081L and 1081M set up as conventionnal. Both are matched to Calcutta 400's. Sweet set ups.

chipwood--I see from your profile that Newport is where you live.

I would go with either of the 1M blanks if you're gonna be fishing a lot from the rocks and/or Breachways. I would think you'd want something with a little more guts, and with spinning, casting a little under a rod's minimum weight rating shouldn't be too big a deal. Another (albeit more costly) option would be to get a GSB 120 1L blank and shorten it 12" from the butt. It's a more parabolic blank than any of the 9' ones from Lami and as such, can probably handle a wider range of weights.

If you're mainly gonna fish open beaches, the 108 1L is plenty of rod.