Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Coolerpup

New to Rod Wrapping...What do I need??

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Besides the rod componente and the rod turning unit, what materials do i need to get started and is there any really easy to understand books available?? Thanks in advance for your replys.

AllenC

The book I used and recommend is Advanced Custom rodbuilding by Dale Clemens. This covers most aspects of rodbuilding, from basic functional how to's, to the basics on decorative wraps and fancy handle/grips. Another book to consider, is The one by Tom Kirkman - I apologize that I do not know the exact name of it, but it is the only one he has written to date. Much shorter, but you will be able to build a rod from A to Z with it. Also the section on finishes and spiral wraps is better in TK's book.

For building one rod, I don't think you need too much. You get get a pre-formed grip and ream it to fit the blank (need 1 reamer for this about the same diameter as the blank) Epoxy such as Rod bond to glue the handle/reel seat assembly. Epoxy such as Flex Coat or LS Supreme to cover the guides. A brush to apply the epoxy. You'll also ned a grinding wheel or a sanding disk 120 grit (I think Al sells these) to grind the guide feet.

Not much else (yet) besides a moor to turn the rod as it dries, and a wrapper to support the blank as you wrap the guide on.

CP,

Billy hit all the critical parts. For a wrapping lathe you can use a cardboard box with V cuts in the sides. A coffee cup to hold a spool of thread and some books for tension for wrapping.

To get a smooth finish you will need a slow-turning motor. Check out www.cabelas.com. They have a inexpensive motor set up.

As far as tools, Cabelas also sells an inexpensive kit containing snips, thread burnisher and a dubbing needle.

Get some isopropyl alcohol to clean up any glue spots. Paper towels or clean rags that you can throw away.

Hope to see you at a future Rodcrafter seminar in Allentown since you do not live too far away.

Happy wrapping.

Al

Thanks Al and Billy for the info. My wife just "let" me get a building for all my fishing and hunting "stuff" and at work they let me have a 4ft wide by 92 inch long carpeted table and i figured it would be a perfect rod wrapping table, and all I needed were supplies. Thanks again, I plan to get started very soon.

Allen

I purchased both books that were suggested (thanks). Now for a wrapping machine. Do i need to get the fancy motorized wrapping motor nad all the do-dads to start with or can I use a hand wrapper and have a finishing motor to spin it while it cures?? I dont want to go over board until i know this is for me. Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it.

AllenC

Allen,

You can make a simple hand wrapping lathe out of wood. Get the finishing motor.

Once you think you really want to get into it then come to a Rodcrafter seminar and meet some seasoned builders. They will help you to get set up properly for serious building. I am sure Billy can add some more thoughts having recently gone through that process the last two years.

Al

If you look in the back of the Clemens book, there is a chapter on making tools, one of which is a rod wrapper. Really not hard to do, I did it for myself and had no clue what I was doing.

$3 casters, 2 of them, fastened to a piece of wood so the blank will not slip between them when rolled. Just make sure when you turn one wheel, the other one turns as well - this means they are touching, but not stuck together. Make 3 of these. $10.

Home Depot sells like an 8 foot board with holes running along the length of the board, on both sides. They also sell some small pegs that fit into these holes. Epoxy the pegs (measure first) to the bottom of the wood holding the rollers. now you canmove the rollers around and have them "securely" held. I think the white wood board should cost no more than $15.

Now you can buy a thread tensioner,or make one. I made one to hold 4spools, butthat's uneccesary. Whatever you decide to do about the tensioner, epox those pegs to teh bottom, and it will also be held securely.

I used this on my first 5 rods, and it worked beautifully. I gave this contraption to Ravenar, so you can ask him how he likes it (I assume he used it) I used to have pictures on the net,but no longer.

Or you can do what Al suggested - lol!!

Thanks again. I am really looking forward to getting started. Now all i need is TIME LOL.

One more question. Is there a certain temp. you should keep your room you wrap in?? I plan on setting mine up in a building with only two windows and a door for ventilation, but not sure if it will be cool enough. Any thoughts?? Thanks....Allen

The warmer the room, the better. A lot of guys who build a lot of rods build a drying box which they can control the temperature to get consistant results with epoxy. i believe 75 is an ideal temp. The colder it is, teh thicker the epoxy wil be, and the longer it will take to cure. The warmer it is, the runnier the epoxy will be, the quicker it will set up. Too warm, the epoxy will set up before you can apply it.

Also there are fumes with epoxy, I have no problems, with it, but there are people who are very sensitive to these fumes and take special precautions when applying epoxy. There are a bunch of rodbuilding sites dedicated to answering questions of rodbuilders of all ages. If you would like, E-mail me and I will tell you what they are: vivonab@colsonervices.com - not that there is anything wrong here, just that there is a lot of info out there - the more info the better.

[This message has been edited by Billy 40 (edited 06-10-2002).]