Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandcrab

Blank Recommendation - Slinging Metal

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Lamiglas GSB 136-1M, 132-1M or, from what Big Country and Oz were telling me at the Pint Fling, a Rainshadow is a great blank and modestly priced. I can't remember the models, but hopefully they will post them here so I can order a few smile.gif

CD

Allow yourself a good butt section on the 1208, it's a lot stiffer in the middle then the most comparable Lami, the 120-1M. For ease of casting, especially at the lower end, the 120-1M. And for sheer casting prowess, I bet the Arra 132-2 as a spinner would be hard to match, though you'd have to work a little harder then a 120-1M would require to load it with just an ounce. Mine is a conventional.

Just finished test casting a Rainshadow 1208 being built conventional, for the same weight range plugs you asked about, get one, you gonna like it...ps, about 60 bucks cheaper than the 1201 Lami.

biggrin.gif

You might also want to look at the Rainshadow 1386. It's two piece. I've used one for the last two seasons for just that purpose and have been very happy. 1 oz is a little light but quite manageable with metal. It really works well from 2-3.5.

I'm confused by the 1201m recommendations. I have the XS10MH built on the 1202m (the 2 piece 1201) and the PSB 1202m. Neither of these is much fun below 3 oz.

Dave, was waiting for you to chime in on this thread.. biggrin.gif

Got any exotic rods on your wrapper lately???

Love hearing about your lil projects.

Am looking at that Cono-flex Barracuda myself.

Have you tossed one yet??

Happy wrapping

Bob

Bob

The Barracuda is an awesome stick for 2 to 4 oz. The mid section and tip have a nice parabolic action to them. Butt holds firm and gives nice leverage while under a load. This is a nice cost effective rod from Conoflex. Nice addition to any fisherman's arsenal

As for other rods I have done lately there is a few. The Zziplex Sea Raider II that I mentioned is a really nice stick. It's 10'and my intended use for it is to jig the canal. Its rated 2 to 6 I like it with up to 4 ½ but just to understand how it works I put a 6 oz sinker on it. Although it made the tip of the rod droopy, I crushed half dozen casts with it and had no ill effects to the rod. But for the range of jigs I use being 2-to 4-½ max its fits the bill nicely. This rod flat out smokes my All Star 1208.

The Zziplex light bass is a sweet plugging stick. Not quite as powerful as the Conoflex Barracuda but will set sail to big bottle plugs. It's easily capable of hitting breaks in the middle of the canal. No doubt it will cast cripples out of site. Guys that like to bounce the tips of rods to work pencils would like this stick as well. It has that softer feel to it like the Limber Lami feel, yet locks up when its cast. It not as big as the Zziplex PTX Bass I showed you last year and nowhere near as powerful. But a great stick in its own right.

Another Zziplex I have built is the V-Max F2 This is an outright gorgeous beach rod. It's a 3 to 5 oz stick that's 14 feet in length. Great casting rod, in fact the word is effortless casting. The rod is as light as a feather and has tons of power. The tip stand up well in a current on the beach. Last year in October when I got the rod I taped guides on it with electrical tape and cast it in a 125gr SportCast event. My first cast with the rod was 722' Although this rod could be used for the 125 events I like it better as a 4 oz with small bait stick for beach fishing the cape cod bay area where 8 and bait it not the norm needed to hold bottom.

One of the things I most often here about Zziplex rods, is right away people think that they are just tournament rods. Although they make great tournament blanks, Zziplex has some truly world-class fishing rods, some of which I have mentioned here. Terry Carroll is one of if not the BEST builder of blanks in the world today.

Dave,

Thanks for another great set of reviews. The Northeast has been dominated by Lamiglas rods and blanks for as long as I can remember. (and i'm only 40 biggrin.gif ) It's nice to see some new blood enter the gene pool. Having the Allstar/Batson/Amtack blanks gives us a little variety in our choice of blanks. Now the new influx of European blanks from Cono-flex, Zziplex, and Purglass have opened up a whole new world of toys to play with.

Couple of questions on the Zippies..

Whats the length on the Light Bass?

What is the action, and how stiff is the Sea Raider II? Is it stiffer than the AllStar 1208?

Thanks again

Bob

Another great blank if you did not plan to go below 2 oz would be the Conoflex Gambit XTXL. 12 feet nine inches, very light with lots and lots of power.

Good luck,

Tom

the rainshadow 1208 is the model you want.

BC

Their catalog does not list weight range for this blank (See below)

SW1208 10' 1 20-30 .800 7.5 MOD-FAST HEAVY 89.39

Is this blank in the 1-4 oz range