Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jettyman

Modifying 10 1/2 ft Tica Rod

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Al, I recently bought a 2pc 10 1/2 ft tica rod and planned on using it for heavy plugging. The rod is very tip heavy (even w/ a 704z). I want to shorten it to 91/2-10 ft but don't know which side to cut from. The top pc seems too heavy for the bottom. How can I figure out which end to cut?? I'm thinking if I cut the top the blank will be stiffer, so I'm thinkin I probably have to cut the butt and move the reel seat up. Does this sound right??

The rod is out of balance. Before cutting the blank try this. Remove the butt cap and put a few ounces of split shot up into the butt end of the rod. Slip on another butt cap but do not glue it.

Mount your reel and feel the balance of the rod in your hand. Adjust the amount of shot in the butt until you you are comfortable with the way the rod is balanced.

Remove the butt cap and pour the shot into a paper cup and add enough slow cure epoxy glue to saturate all the shot.

Put the shot-epoxy mixture up into the butt end of the rod and glue the butt cap on. Stand the rod butt down and let it cure overnight.