Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IsmailG

Decals

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hi Al,

I just finished up a star wrap (well thats what its supposed to beicon15.gif) on a steelhead rod. I left some space near between the tie off and the foregrip to put one of them sweet looking steelhead decals. I left it in warm water for a few minutes, then wet the area on the blank where I intended to place it, then stuck it on, and smoothed it out. I came back a few minutes after leaving the rod on the rotater and noticed that the edges of my decal was showing some of the white from underneath. I tried to smooth it down but that didnt work. So stupid me, I decide to put some rod finish over it, thinking that would cure my problems, it didnt, so now I have to worry about getting that decal off the blank! Please help?

If you applied the epoxy (maybe within the last 2 days - I am not too sure about this but I read elswhere recently) you can take that alcohol torch of yours and heat the epoxy over the decal and remove the epoxy. Not sure about this though and hope someone else responds to verify this.

Billy

Ismail,

Where you placed the decal, is it just the blank underneath or is there a thread wrap with finish?

If it's just the blank, then gently heat the area with a hair dryer or heat gun to soften the finish then gently scrape it away. You will probably have to scrape away the decal and gently sand off any residue.

If there is thread and finish underneath follow the same steps. However, you will have to rewrap the area.

I suggest mounting a decal directly on the blank. The blank area where the decal will go should first be gently sanded with 600 grit paper and then thoroughly cleaned with alcohol and paper towels.

If you are using a water decal, you will need to get some softening and fixative solution to have the decal properly adhere to the blank. You can purchase them at www.micromark.com

If you are using an adhesive backed decal, then carefully cut along the edges of the decal art, carefully remove the backing and apply it to the blank. Smooth out the decal working from the center out to the edges.

Apply two thin coats of color sealant, wait 24 hours and then apply your finish.

Good Luck.

Al

Thanks guys, I put some Alcohol to it right after I posted, and it came off pretty easily (it hadnt fully dried yet). I think I should have went with a clear background decal, because the one I had was black. I applied the Lamiglas logo and it came out just fine. Thanks again

Some thoughts on decals,as in many aspects of rod building circumstances dictate how to apply a decal,in most cases a clear decal should be applied over a high gloss surface,if applied over a matte finish or a scuffed finish the underlying appearance will show thru,never apply a decal over thread without first applying a thin coat of finish ,the area must be completely smooth or the decal will never lay properly,personally I never use any additives with the decals I make,in some cases even CP will cause problems with some of the decal brands.I realize that at times it is impossible but one should always try to test how the decal will react before applying to a good rod.One last thought NEVER,NEVER use permagloss over a decal it will lift for sure

JohnTextText