Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pksurfish

custom Lamiglas gsb 1201M

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I just returned from a fishing trip to the Outer Banks, and while I was there I purchased a custom spinning rod one of the big name tackle shops there had made on the Lami 1201M blank. It was an impulse purchase based on what seemed like an great price and that blank's good reputation.

After using the rod for several days - and generally liking it - I noticed that the butt seems a bit short for me - and I like a shorter butt than many people to begin with. The butt on this rod is about 21 1/2" to the middle of the reel seat.

I recall your saying that it is easy to extend a butt. Exactly what steps would be involved for a custom rod maker if I asked him to extend the butt on this rod 2-3"? (The butt is covered in cork wrap and a butt cap.)

Now - and after the butt is extended - this rod will have a little more blank in front of the reel seat than is usually the case. How does that affect the rod's action and the weight it can throw as compared with a slightly more forward reel seat placement?

Lastly, this rod has 5 guides, a Perfection guide, three hardaloy quides, and the tip-top guide. I have the feeling this is a guide or even two less than you would usually put on this blank. How will that likley affect this rod's performance?

Thanks much.

Pk,

Extending the butt a few inches will require that the butt cap be removed and an extension sleave fitted to the butt end of the blank. You may also need to have all or a portion of the cork tape removed and replaced. I can recommend an excellent builder in you geographical area to do the upgrade.

The placement and number of guides is determined by several factors and the experience of the builder in getting peak performance out of a blank. Five guides and a tip on the existing rod may give it optimum casting performance given the size and placement of the guides.

Hope this helps.

Al

Thanks, Al. You have helped me avoid some buyer's remorse.

Actually, the rod has 5 guides TOTAL including the tip top, not 5 AND the tip top. That still may be OK I guess. I just read another article saying that one of the most well known Montauk rod makers prefers that number of guides for his rods like this. We'll see how it goes after I get the rod butt extended.

I welcome any input/suggestions/opinions from others.

I just bought a Lamiglas factory wrapped XS91MHS rod (on this site) and it came with only 5 guides (including tip) as well. My suspicion is all those factory rods we see from the mass merchandisers have 6 and even 7 guides primarily because "more" equates with "better" in those consumer markets; not because they perform any better. I was questioning the wisdom of my purchase as well, until I actually got down to the beach and made a few casts. It's definately my "go to" rod for the beach and has a semi-permanent home in the truck!

Dan biggrin.gif

As I recall, when Lami made a factory XRA 1205, it came with only 4 guides confused.gif

5 guides and a tip is a pretty standard set-up for a 120 1M on LI. I'm pretty sure that Lami set up the XS101MHS the same way, when they offered the 1M on a factory spinner. No reason to use a 75mm wire Pefection, a 50 mm Fuji works fine.

This sounds alot like the shop I bought a custom GSB1081L from. I posted some questions about it under "rod blank ID" you might wanna check those posts. I also found that this builder doesn't file guide feet before wrapping, I personally don't know if this matters but you can definitely see some stair stepping from blank to guide foot on mine, way more than other rods I've compared it to. Hope you don't have any problems with your rod but I was highly disappointed, and when I questioned the shop about a few things I had concern about they kinda gave me the runaround. Hope this doesn't bum you, heck it might be a different shop, but it sure sounds familiar.

Red Drum is a good shop and Red has always been a very nice guy from what I've seen on the net. Hatteras rods are optimized for casting distance. In my opinion , the rod needs 5 guides plus a tip but that's just my opinion. I like the extra guide for a smoother bend. The extra guide will cost you a little casting distance but in New England , that's not critical.

I saw a guide line one time for surf rods that suggested you divied the length by 2...''' so a 12' rod would require 6 guides'...a ten 5...I don't really believe it cost you casting distance if the blank is loading better...I used to fish 3 guides and a tip on a ten footer (old school)..now I'd like an extra guide if its questionable.