Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeStaten

Light Surf Blank

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Al,

I saw a good deal on some Lami blanks and a friend is interested in a light spinner surf rod for Red-Fins, Bomber .5-1.5oz. Do you think the GSH102 2HX is a good blank? How about the MB963M-2? If those aren't that great can you recommend a blank that isn't that expensive? He doesn't want to spend much more than $50-$60 for the blank. Thanks again for all the info! Mike

Saltheart,

The lami site has some obsolete blanks on sale. Unfortunately, most of the good surf/steelhead blanks are sold out. These blanks are 1st run and covered by lami's warranty.

Mark

I have a couple GSH 102 1X blanks here...let me tell ya, at 1/2-2 1/2oz, they are very underrated! I'm wrapping one now, I told ToddV I'd test it out. I wanted to see how it would perform as an idea 8'6" spinning rod, so I'm wrapping it that way. If I wasn't interested in seeing how it performs as a spinning rod, I would certainly wrap it conventional. It would make a super sweet conventional rod!

Before there's even any guides on it, my guess is it will be an 8'6" fast action 1 piece spinner suited for an honest 7/8-3 1/2oz. Without having fished it, I don't think it will throw 1/2oz "ideally"...but I can promise ya, it certainly won't ever leave ya wanting more backbone?!?! It will certainly have it's place, but I don't think it's gonna be the ideal 1/2- 2 1/2oz 1 piece spinning rod.

And that's for the 102 1X...I'd have to guess the 102 2HX would make a wonderful 8'6" rod for throwing 1 1/2oz-4oz...no lie, these things are fast and no limit in the butt end.

For the record, the GSH 102 2XH is sold here for $87.50. I'm gonna get a see if I can get the next lighter blank than the 102 1X...maybe even two models lighter...that I think would make a super 1 piece 8'6" surf spinning rod for 1/2-2 1/2oz with lots of backbone. Will report back later wink.gif

TimS

Thanks for the info Tim. Are there any other rods out there that would fit the bill? For a light 8-9' spinner that would have a "sweet spot" for a 3/4-1oz lure that isn't going to break the bank. One of the Lami blanks I saw was a "blem" and I'm not sure that's the way I want to go. Thanks again! Mike

I feel the Lami GLB961L is the perfect rod for throwing Redfins and Bombers. It's rated for .5 to 1.5.

They say blems are cosmetic but I wouldn't want to wrap a rod and find something wrong with it afterwards. With my luck, I'd have done the best expoxing job and butt wrap I ever did on it and the blank would go POP on a cast!

Well I've been busy this winter/spring wrapping all manners of sticks to "test" out. I'm looking for a few special ones that will suit specific applications perfectly. I'm learning an aweful lot about the different series of blanks, different blank materials, etc.

Right now, without hesitation, I would say the absolute winner in the 1/2-1 1/2oz category in an 8 footer would be the GP 964. That's a "Graphite Poppin'" blank. Initially, the Lamiglas rating would scare ya away, it says "3/8-3/4oz"...makes it sound like a sissy stick, don't it? It ain't. It will throw 3/8oz, it'll also launch 1/4oz lures and probably lighter but that's the lightest I ever throw. The surprise was it's ability to deliver a 2oz plug with ease..and power! In fact, I'd say the "sweet spot" is exactly 1/2-1 1/2oz...with excellent ability in the 1/4-1/2 range and again in the 1 1/2oz-2 1/2oz range. It's an exceptional little blank, backbone that is very impressive, a moderate fast taper, and it's quite economically priced at $66!

Oh there's so many blanks I've fallen in love with since learning to wrap, but after I wrapped my first one of these (and I'm not a fan of 8ft rods!) I ordered 2 more...one for Dubs (you couldn't pry his GP 964 spinner from his hands!) and one for me to turn into an 8ft conventional for my kayak.

Now if you want to talk about blanks between 8-9ft, lemme know, but for an 8 footer, you won't find a better blank than this...at least I haven't come across one smile.gif

TimS

Tim,

That GP964 is a real sweety. I made up a few for light tackle bucktailing for bass and weakfish. It is also excellent for albies and bones.

Al

Mike:

If you are set on a blank that is 8ft 6" try the MB or SMB 108 3M and trim the blank from the rear. I can only comment on the old LTD version of this blank that is very soft so would be more like the e-glass version. I am sure that the action is right!

Light as a feather an is great at throwing 4" bombers, 5" Redfins, and 4 1/2" Megabaits.

Make this up with Cork Tape, Tape on reel seat, and a high framed guides and you will be pleased! I use this rod with a Diawa 1600SS and 30# Power Pro(20 PP would be fine also). This rod is a perfect parabolic and provides a cushion for no stretch braids.