Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
doyle007

Batson 1087 guides

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

i've just ordered a Batson 1087 blank. i'll be using it with a fuji size 20 reel seat, cork tape, and an abu 6500 c3 reel. i'm going to spiral wrap it.

what do you guys suggest i use for guide sizes. i'm probably going to go with alconites, because the wife would kill me if i shelled out for SIC guides. does anyone have a good layout as far as the guides go?

this rod will be available for test casting at the NJ NERD's get together. tongue.gif

007 - I look foward to checking this rod out in a couple of months.

If you're going to get Alconites (and they are worth the additional cost over Hardaloy imo), get the BMNAG's. Size 20 stripper, 12 transition guide, 10's the rest of the way.

I have ZERO experiance fishing these surf rod thingy's, but it's not rocket science. You'll get to see a 1208 spiral wrapped at the get together which will have pretty much the same set up as above.

The reason I skip the size 16 is it causes the lne to stick out as it goes from top to bottom. The only problem I encounter is that teh line sometimes doesn't touch the next guide up (either the first 180, or teh last transition guide). I do have to play a bit with teh spacing on this one guide.

I thought the spiral wrap wasn't conducive to casting long distances. I'm assuming a 9' rod is not meant for the boat.

I'm confused confused.gif

c'mon guys. it's already been an hour since my initial post, and i only have six replies. what gives? biggrin.gif

thanks though. unless i hear differently before say tuesday morning, i'll go with billy's suggestion for sizing.

as for distance, i've read that there isn't a big effect for spiral vs. conventional with the guides all on top. one of the latest issues of rod maker had a big article about surf rods, and they talked about spiral wrapping. it sounds sweet. also, as long as i can cast further with this rod than my fly rod, i'll be a happy camper.

vacation starts in a few minutes. hee haw. time to do some surfing.

I gotta see this to believe it. eek.gif

The Gathering 007 mentions will feature a test casting session where several different guide configurations will be test cast side by side with teh same reels, line, casters - with all distances recorded.

One of these tests will be a regular wrapped Conventional versus a spiral wrapped conventional.

Whoever told you teh spiral wrap loses casting distance, wasn't 100% wrong, I don't doubt there is some loss of distance, but how much. There have been people who claim teh spiral wrapped rods actually cast further (FW Bass fishermen.). Come November 13th the NERDs will come to our own conclusions based on actual data without having to rely on someone's word.

So far there are about 20-25 guys showing up. Other featured tests will be spinning set ups: traditional wire frame 75 &/or 60mmm stripper, standard 40HH stripper, Alconites, and a COncept style.

As an added bonus, these rods will be auctioned off and donated to a GREAT cause.

007... Go with Billy's setup on the guides. It's going to give you the best results. You might even get to drop down to the 10's before the transition ends. Just have to play with the spacing to see where it fits best. Haven't spiraled the 9'ers yet, but have done a bunch of 10'ers with great results. Enjoy

FYI... I like to off set the first guide toward the spiral, some do..some don't, but it works for me... biggrin.gif

It would be nice if you used the Forecast guides distributed by the same folks that distribute the Rainshadow blanks. I beleive they are (IMHO) some of the best components in the industry. Has any of you folks ever tried them?? Someone should give them a try.. Just My opinion, I hope someone that monitors this board has tried them and can comment. As I am sure I am biased..

alright there Mr. Batson, what would you suggest as a comparable model to the fuji alconites? i'm looking for single foot guides in the size that billy mentioned. i'd be more than happy to order them from batson. i happen to have just finished my second rainshadow fly rod, and just picked up a forecast fly rod. i can't wait to build that one. the blue color is killer.

so, let me know your suggestions, and i'll go with it. and don't worry about being biased. you've got a great product. icon14.gif

The Guides & other components are "simular" in looks only. We get our components from a different country than Pacbay & Amtak. We have been working with the vendors for over 15 years. I feel IMHO we have the best components in the industry. We are all Rodbuilders here and have made ajustments in our product line to help the builders become more efficient. We do Double plate all of our black guides, this is to help the wear of the guide frame color and also it becomes more salt water corrosion resistant. Feel free to contact us or one of our many distributors for our new 80 page color catalog.We carry the largest "in house" inventory in the country and carry a wide variety of products.We have been supplying manufacturers & Custom Rodbuilders for many years with components under the Private Label program. We are now working on getting our Quality products in everybodys hands. Give them a try, I know you will not be dissapointed.If you have any questions please feel free to contact me as it is very hard to explain everything we do different on the board.

Billy and Fishaddict,

how many guides do you think i would need of each size for this rod? i figure one 20, a couple of the 12's, and some 10's, but i'm not sure about the numbers of each. i can probably do the transition in about three or four guides, but i'm not 100% sure of that.

thanks.