Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
seveneleven

guides and reel placement GSB1201L

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Jim, the location of the reel seat will be specific to your taste. The location of the guides will depend on where you put the reel seat. I personally like the center of the reel seat to end up at the first knuckle of the middle finger on my right hand when the butt of the rod is even with my elbow. You should measure the length of rods that you already have and like or just rubber band the reel to the blank and try some different spots unti you find the location that you like the best.

Thanks kml, for your help and reply.

Maybe I should ask for the look of the factory rod made from this blank XS101 MS? What are the specs for it? I know I'll need to change it to suit myself but I wanted to have a starting point.

I'm sorry to use this post for help. I can't find "search" available.Thanks J

Don't be sorry, that is what these boards are for. I do not own the factory version of this rod so I do not have the measurements. I do own this rod as a conventional and it is a great blank. Maybe someone that owns the spinner will chime in.

Good luck

My GSB 120 1L was built by Saltheart and it's a beautiful stick.

Here is how mine is set up;

Dimension from the butt to the center of the reel seat is 23 1/2 inches; from center of the reel seat to the

1st guide = 38"

2nd " = 55 1/2"

3rd " = 69"

4th " = 80 1/2"

5th " = 89 1/4"

Tip

I hope this helps..... icon14.gif

Seven, there are many thoughts, ideas, and concepts for building custom rods. Each builder has his own opinion. There are countless resources, articles, books, and websites like this one to get you going. Many guys like to build a rod with guides on the spine, opposite the spine, and to confuse you more, spiral wrapped. You need to use enough guides to maximize the blanks potential. Some guys prefer 5 guides while someone else 6. Don't be afraid to experiment!!! Tape guides on and test cast, do deflection tests, and get it just right before you wrap it. Although I have built this blank with 5 guides, I believe I used 6 guides on my 108 1L. BMNAG 40, 30, 25, 20, 16, 12, 12 tip. I don't know spacing off the top of my head.

gsb 120 1l -10' spinning

#11 tip fuji bplt/#20 fuji bsphg/#30 fuji bsphg/

#60 mildrum /#75 mildrum/ #20fuji reel seat

+tip__________________#60______8"_______#75_

+tip___________________#30________23"_____#75

+ tip____________________#20_____41"______#75

+ti p __________________#62"___________#75