Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ncsurffisher

A little "GUIDEance" please :)

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

OK, I have a Breakaway 1267 blank here that I'm just starting on. I am determined to use the new Amtak holographic guides on it. The problem is that the rings for the tip-top only go as high as a 10. Bummer. I'm going to make it work somehow though. The way I see it is I have two options. Option #1 - new guide concept. High framed 40, 25, 10, nsg 10, 10, 10, 10tip. Option #2, Use all high frame and just progress down to the 10. Maybe something like 40, 25, 20, 16, 12, 10, 10tip. Opinions?

BTW - this blank is SWEET!

I would not sacrifice the guide configuration because of a tip top. I would get a regular Hardaloy/Alconite/SIC tip in size 12 or 16 or whatever you're looking for - along with the Holo's for the rest of the guides.

Have you seen teh guides? Do you like them? I've seen teh Blue ringed guides, I would hesitate to put them on a rod that will be banged around, or on someone else's rod. But I will have a set or 2 on my own lighter rods so I can see for myself hwo they hold up.

I think I'll do just that Billy. Thanks.

Yes I've seen the guides, have a good assortment of them here. We don't have rocky beaches down this way so alconite & SIC is the norm, don't see much hardaloy.

They definately were not as strong as Fuji - but who's to say they are not strong enough for a rod? How strong does a guide have to be? Not everyone fishes on rocks, throws rods around, etc - there is a good chance these guides will hold up for a lot of the fishing we encounter. Again, for my rods, I'd put them, but not somoene else's - until I know fo rmyself just how durable they are.

It must suck to try competing with Fuji.

Great blank. Nice moderate action which is different than most of the Allstars which are in general fast action.

Just my opinion but there is no way I'd put anything but Fuji's on that blank. The holo look just isn't important enough to me to get me to use them. Whatever guides you use , I would still go with a Fuji SiC 16 tip.

Re American Tackle guides softer than Fuji, I had contacted them about this sometime ago and got this:

>

>The conclusions from an independent testing laboratory speak for themselves.

http://www.americantackle.us/pdf/ATC_Testing.pdf

They also told me they are going to release corrosion test results that show their guides lasted twice as long as Fuji's before they corroded in salt water.

I give them 2 thumbs up IMHO, they seem to be leading the 20th century in guide development while Fuji led in the 80's.

Anyone been out Manasquan Inlet lately?

I'm curious as to why they tested the Hardaloy frames and not the SIC or Alconite or Titanium or Titatnium coated guides? Hardaloy have a lower grade of stainless than the S4 which is in the SIC & Alconites.

That not withstanding - I have a simpler test, I hold the guide and bend the frame - I don't need a chart to tell me which is a stronger guide.

Corrosion resistance - Fuji Gold turns green, Silver turns brownish green, black is pretty rust resistant. Titanium doesn't rust, and Titanium finish is not supposed to turn, not even Gold.

It willbe a very hard sell to say the AMTAK's are better than Fuji's, imo I rather hear the AMTAK's are not as strong as Fuji;s, but they are strong enough to withstand all fishing situations (within the limits of the guide frame). That is probably the truth, I can't believe they are stronger than Fuji's, and only time wil tell how durable they are.

Note how the guides were mounted in the fixtue, load was applied to the side of the ring only. This test proved? The load to failure of the ceramic.

I don't need an Instron to tell me which frame is stronger smile.gif Pickup two similar guides and bend the Fuji then the Amtak. You won't need the Instron either wink.gif

Whether they are strong enough, is a subjective question that is open to debate.

If the guides after prepping (grinding polishing) for use, are more corosion resistant that would be cool. If it's just a "our coating is better that their coating test" , than that one is useless as well because most good builders remove the coating when grinding/polishing.

Your mileage may vary,

gad

Someone recently posted about the AmTak guides and said they rotted in a season.

I guess he doesn't wash his gear off, but...

I have a customer who treats his stuff poorly and the Fuji guides are still going strong!! Sic all the way!

I'll be trying the Alconites on the affordable line of rods for a few customers this season.

Thanks for showing those to me Billy!

CD