Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WheelieSurfer

First Time Surf Rod.. Disabled in wheelchair

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Hi All.. reading the other posts I felt this group would head me in the right direction.

I'm disabled (paraplegic) confined to a wheelchair, will do my casting from piers/docks and any shoreline that is accessible to wheelchair use.

I'll be fishing mainly for flounder/fluke/striper/blue/and any other hungry fishies.. wink.gif.Using 15-20lb. line and 2-3oz sinker.

My question is a Rod that will give quick reponse and snap while doing a simple backcast while seated.

I've checked Breakaway - St. Croix sites.

I dont the cost as long as it doesn't have too long a butt (will inhibit movement while seated)..Not too long (thinking of a one piece 8')Medium action.

As for a spinning reel that too is open for suggestions..

My main concern is a set-up that is not overwhelming for a "seated caster" using only arms and hands..no lower body balance or tourque required for those larger rods.

Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Joe

Welcome to SOL! HappyWave.gif

I guess you will be landing your fish with the rod (i.e. Lifting them up on the dock with the rod) which will break a graphite rod sooner or later. Foberglass will be more durable and is easier to load while casting with less power.

I'd look over the Seeker line of rods or perhaps some of the Lamiglas rods.

Would you consider a custom made rod?

it could be tailored just for you and would make a world of difference.

Lemme think a sec on the blanks...

Here are a few I looked up.

It would be best if there is a local shop where you can pull on (hold and flex) these to get a feel for the blanks.

Lamiglas MB-965M

Calstar 270H-B

Seeker CBW-809 composite

CLB-806 Composite

SB-806

Some of the ratings are a bit heavy sounding, but if you are going to lift a 10 lb bluefish over the rail, these will do the job.

Let's wait and see what other ideas/responses this thread gets as there are many good builders on SOL.

Perhaps we can get together and make you a rod smile.gif

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me

Joe have you been fishing on piers and docks before? Are the fishing being netted by someone else on the structure? If thats the case what size fish in pounds are you catching most of the time? I agree fiberglass would be the best for you. I might have a source for a less expensive but great fiberglass blank for you, let me know.

Bruce

Hi Bruce.. I havent fished Salt water yet..all my previous fishing has been fresh water with light tackle..this is something new for me..Im sure many of the fish I do catch will be under 10lbs. but thats not a given..I'm looking at sites in NJ that have wheelchair accessible piers and also some sites here on Staten Island that gets me close to waters edge.

Thanks for your reply.

Joe

Joe I think thats a Graphite blank you are looking at. Fiberglass would be a better choice because it takes abuse better than graphite. Fishing on the rocks and piers can take a toll on a rod. I looked at the Lamiglass web site and I didnt see finished fiberglass rods for what you require. Some blanks you may consider are MB963M, MB965M or MB1083M. But there are many other blanks to consider like the ones Canyon Diver stated. The are a few rod builders in your area let hope some chime in here. I can usually get blanks that are seconds or have minor imperfections that dont effect the rod performance. I would be willing to select a blank for you and put a reel seat, handle and but cap on the rod and ship it to another builder for cost. The next guy could put on a butt wrap, the next guy could put on the guides. If we get some interest from other builders I would be happy to do it for you.

Bruce

Well Joe there you have it, I'll talk with my distributor and find a blank that good for you. You said you would like a spinning rod with a short handle. How long would you like the handle to be? If you measure from the butt of the rod to the center of where you want the reel seat, how many inches is that? I get back to you with specific's after I talk with the blank man.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce & CD... I'm thinking that 14" length would be fine for the Butt end.. As for a blank I just don't know what to look for other than fiberglass.. If I'm going to use 20lb. test what action rod would suit that line? I don't want a rod that's going to look as if I have a 40lb. striper on it while it's only a 2oz weight. wink.gif

Not too stiff but not wippy also.

As for guides, thats another decision that I don't have the knowledge to make.. How many guides, and what quality?

I'm also looking for 2 rods done exactly the same.

"Quality over quantity". Cost isn't too much of a factor.

If you can get back to me as to what the choices are for the blanks-guides-fuji seat(i assume)rubber or cork handles.. just don't know.

Thanks soo much,

Joe

Joe, I'm guessing you want two rods beacuse you are going to fish two rods at the same time and it would be great if they matched. I'm the same way I just built a pair of rods that match, one is a spinning rod and one is a fly rod. They look so nice side by side. wink.gif I am one of those slow and very picky people that like things done perfectly. It took me a month of working a couple hours a night to get them all finished and just the way I wanted them. I'll bet I put in 30 hours for both rods. Custom building really comes from the heart of a person because if we did a total on the hours vs a dollar value it would work out to about 14.00 an hour. Some people do build for money and we can get you in touch with some of these guys. But for a matching set of spinning rods, fuji reel seat, eva handle, Butt Wrap, weave of your initials, hardloy guides, sic tip top and three colors on the wraps. You will get quotes from anywhere from a low of 450.00 to 750.00 for both rods and quality work. If money isnt an issue we can put you in touch with a professionl in your area that can give you a quote on the rods. However my orignal offer of one rod still stands, I could do the bottoms on two rods but it think it would be asking too much to have CD twist the tops on two rods. I am at the end of my building season and can not take on a project of this magnitude. I still have 5 rods that I need to finish by April 1st. Let us know what you decide we will be happy to help you and assit in your decision. biggrin.gif Buy the way rod building is not too difficult and you may find that you could build a rod with some instruction and the help of the folks on this board. I have learned so much from this board over the past 5 years. Billy40 you may have a perspective student.

Let us know what you decide.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce for the heads up on the time and prices.. I still need 2 rods done in the same style.. if not done by a custom builder than maybe I should look into pre-assembled rods using the tips you and CD offered.I see Lamiglas "Ron Arra Pro Surf" Rods are life time warrantied against beakage.Any other manufacturers I should check for one piece 8-9' rods?

Thanks soo much for all your time and help,

Joe

WheelieSurfer (great name by the way) I'd look into a custom Calstar GF800L, plenty of power, and virtually unbreakable. Get in touch with a local builder and show him exactly how you fish, hold the rod,cast, etc... and he or she would probably come up with some great set ups.

Because I've yet to see an inquiry like this anywhere on any boards...if other buiders in the SI area meet you and set you up with a ideas,blanks,and components...I'll help wrap, no charge.