Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thumb-Burner

Batson 967 question and loomis 1084 ?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

What's the low end of the effective weight range for a Batson/Rainshadow 967 in a spinning configuration...

same question on the loomis 1084.. thanks

thanks

------------------

I may be small... But I'm slow!!

I have the 967. I'd say the low end is about 3/4 but you might do 1/2. The surprise is hoiw well it throws 3 on the high end.

I don't know about the Loomis 1084. A more comparable rod to the batson 967 is the Loomis 965 which is one OUTSTANDING blank.

The Loomis SU 1084 and the SW 108-20 are the same blank. I have a custom conventional built on the 108-20, and it throws 3/4 oz without too much difficulty. With the right reel, of course---I use the Calcutta 400 and various Abu 6500 models.

It can throw 4 oz at the top--I've never pushed it beyond that.

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 04-16-2003).]

sooooo.. even though i said i'm not comparing (i changed my mind).... if you had to pick one of these two (i know both are too heavy for this to be primary use) for casting 7/8oz bombers, which would you use...???

------------------

I may be small... But I'm slow!!

salt:

Did you tie up the 967 as a spin or conventional? I have a blank sitting in my rack and was thinking of wrapping it conventional with a 6500C3.

Thanks for you attention to this forum.

Billy

You could build the 967 either way (conventional or spinner). My own is a conventional. Its a great blank for short money.

Since Ditch says the 1084 is the same as a Loomis 108-20 , that one I do know. The 108-20 is a great blank also. Makes a good all around rod. Neither rod is optimal if the intended purpose is primarily to throw 3/4 OZ bombers though.

I don't remember . I do specifically remember tossing mombo minnows and mack chunks with the 967. It certainly will toss eels well. I have several of those blanks in stock. they build to a nice rod.