Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thumb-Burner

to re-wrap or not to rewrap

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I have a factory built 1209 breakaway that I really like a lot.. It's several years old but in excellent used condition.. Is it worth the money to have it stripped down and re-wrapped? i'm fine with location of the reelseat etc... just wondering what the real value would be.. I have my thoughts but want to keep them to myself until i hear from the experts.. thanks in advance.

TB

First off does it need to be re-done??? The blank itself is bullet proof. hard to believe that it would not be in good working condition. If It needs it, than its worth it. Cheers Big Dave

Big Dave,

You hit on what I'm really asking.. Does it need it.. The blank is in great shape... I guess what I'm really asking is whether I will see a noticeable difference having the smallish guides that are put on with a LOT of finish and thread, replaced by a set of larger alconites or hardloys and a "ligter" finish..

wondering if i'll notice any difference fishing the rod.. no cracked guides or anything.. I just use it a lot and wondered if it would increase performance much to have it redone with a little better components and not so bulky of a wrap..

any thoughts appreciated.

Thumb,

Big guides=better performance? Not necessarily. In the case of that rod, reducing the amount of epoxy is drop in the bucket. Keep fishing it till ya have a real reason to fix it.

TB

I Doubt using it as a bait rod you would find any noticable improvment. I have to admit I think the Factory Breakaways are a great value for the money. My real Criticism of the factory rods is Guide size selection and on certian rods spacing.

I guess its a good thing I enjoy wrapping rods.