Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gil.F

rebuliding old rods

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Im just about finish my first rod that I ordered from mud hole tackle, I will try to get some pics for you guys my next projects will be a couple of rods that are laying around in the garage, a question or two , both of them need new grips, guides, seat. ect... how would I go about removing without doing any damage to the blank. thanks.

Gil, we need a little more information before giving you good advice, what kind of reel seat (metal or graphite filled), what kind of grips (EVA, Cork, Cork tape, etc), and how thick of finish on the guide wraps.

sorry, there is one metal seat and one graphite seat, eva grips, looks like only one layer of finish on the wraps cause there is some chipping and I can see thread so its not very thick

The EVA is pretty easy to remove, take a sharp shop knife and carefully slice the length of the grip every 90 degrees of the grip. Make sure you don't cut too deep as to cut into the blank. You can then peel the grip off in sections. If it was really glued on good, you may have to scrape the surface area of the left over grip away. Reel seats, take a hacksaw or rotary saw and carefully cut through the skin of the seat from top to bottom in a spiral. Take a metal chisel or large screwdriver and pop the seat off the blank in pieces. (make sure you wear safety goggles). To remove the guides, you can use a single edge razor blade or miniture shop knife and carefully cut into the finish and thread, go easy and cut towards the guide foot and not the blank. You can then peel the thread and finish away from the guide. If you had finish that was very thick and hard, you could soften the finish a little with a hair dryer and then cut as stated above, being carefull not to get too hot because you will damage the blank. I like to take all of the areas that had either grip, reel seat, or guides on them and after the items were removed, I take vinyl tape and wrap around the blank at the top and bottom of the removed item area. I then take a fine (grey colored) scotchbrite pad and clean the area. You then clean with Isopropol alcohol and you are finished with the removal and ready to put on new components.

well, everything went pretty good on removing the seat, grips and eyes! but there is a coat of red paint over the blank that has been chipped , no dammage to the blank. but was wondering is theres a way to repaint the blank or any suggestions? thanks.