Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ragged edge

Tuna Jigging Rod

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Looking to build a rod to bring along on the partyboats that will be set up for jigging.

Can anybody recommend a good blank for this? I was looking at the Calstar 700H, would this be sufficient?

What model/sizes of fuji guides should I use? PS I would like to do a spiral wrap.

Also, would a Penn 113H with Accurate Sideplates and Frame be suitable for jigging tuna on a partyboat? If not, what reels would you recommend.

Thanks.

My personal favorite for jigging is the lami GFC72XH. It is six feet long and allows you more leverage to pump a tuna up than with a seven foot rod.

For guides you can go with Fuji SIC or Hardaloy,USG's or BULG's in the following sizes: 20,16,12,12,10,10,10 plus a UST SIC tip.

The 113H is a 4/0 and will hold approximately 350 yards of 50 lb mono. Make sure your drag is super smooth. If you can afford one I would go with either the Penn or Shimano graphite 2-speed lever drag reels.

They are alot easier to move a tuna out of the depths with and have a better drag than a standard Senator.

Funny you should ask- I'm in the middle of spiral wrapping a Graphiter 700H with HNSG guides. I'm using 9 guides and spiralling to the left when siting down the rod from the but with the reel up.:

placement in inches from the tip:

When siting down the blank with the reel at 12 oclock, the first 6 guides from the tip are at the 6 oclock postion. Guide 7 is 8 oclock. Guide 8 is 10 oclock. Guide 9 is at 12:45 (slightly offset opposite the direction of the spiral to center the line on the reel). My reel seat is a Fuji DPS #24 with the thread mounted toward the butt. The top of the reel is 66.5inches from the tip. You may want to change the postion of the reel seat. The rod casts the same distance as conventionally wrapped one ( first one I made )with a 6 or 8 oz jig while test casting.

I have used this blank for 3 seasons and love it. I have used it to jig tuna (25 to 60lbs) at the canyons and jig cod off Mass. I find that 7 ft very easy to fish with if I use the rail while the tuna is dogging under the boat- ie please the foregrip just above the reel seat on the rail and tuck the but under right armpit. "See saw" the fish up by bending your knees and cranking between pumps. I'm 5ft 5 and have a desk job ...I take any advantage I can get. My favorite reels to jig tuna with 50lb line are the Kaikon 4000 ( Japanese verson of trinidad 30, backed with 65 spectra, 125yd mono on top), trinidad 40( probably best) and 600 series newell with 3 to 1 gears. Personally I don't like a two speed reel while jigging because it is heavier and more difficult to cast (more mass in spool= more overruns)

I hope this helps you

Regards Albert

Thanks Al and Albert (Welcome HappyWave.gif ),

I should have mentioned that I was hoping that this rod could also double as a cod rod (which most guys prefer 8').

What # test line are the HNSG's and the USG's rated to?

Albert, what are your foregrip and butt lengths? I'm interested in the "sea saw" technique.

I think I'm going to invest in a Trinidad instead of trying to upgrade my 113H into a SoCali "yellowtail special". I'm going to have to start saving my money (looks like I'll be drinking Coors instead of Coronaupck.gif )

Thanks again.

Happy Holidays

The 700H bounces 8 to 12 jigs for codgishing well. I use 50lb spectra and can get by on most trips with 8 and 10oz jig. Beyond 12 oz it feels too soft to me. I have a conventionally wrapped 700xh as well. It's a great rod but is a bit too much for me to handle well all day. If you a big guy , you may want to look into this blank. It's significantly stiffer .

I don't know what HHNSGs are rated for. However I have made two other conventionally(not spiral) wrapped rods for my friends and have not had any problems. The rod and guides were able to support 20lbs of dumbells on a static deflection test. We usually use 15lbs of drag (measured with spring scale) while jigging tuna . In addition to this I don't hesitate to squeeze the spool when the tuna are doing circle under the boat and not budging.

My foregrip is 14.5 inches, reel seat is fuji DPS #24, rear grip including but cap is 12.5 inches . Grip sizes will be different for various people.

I heard about using the rail from the **** board. http://www.sport-fish-info.com/dcfor...in/dcboard.cgi

In brief, once the fish is straight down from me (not runnning sideways). I place the foregrip just above the reelseat on the rail. I tuck the rod but under my right armpit and bend my knees. When I bend my knees with my weight (190lbs) on the rodbut, the tip of the rod will leverage the fish up. I then take a quick crank while standing up to gain 1 or 2 feet of line. Just keep repeating this and the fish will be dragged toward the boat. Only problem is that most larger tuna freak out when they see the boat and go on a short drag tearing run. Then its time to start all over. It's not as sporting as fighting the fish with a gimbal and short pumping with your arms but it does get fish in the boat fairly quickly. I'm 5ft 5 and have trouble using a gimbal belt properly. The rail is up to my sternum and I can't lower the rod towards horizontal enough to get a good pump and wind going.

The trinidad 40 is an excellent tuna jigging with a superb drag. However, I don't know if the trinidad would work well for jerking cod off the bottom with its 5 to 1 gear ratio.I haven't tried it yet. For Codfishing I like a Newell 631-3 or 540-3.2 for more leverage. The 631 is also okay for jigging tuna after the washers are swapped out for Penn Ht100s. These are just my opinions but I hope this info helps you.