Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MaxKatt

How I destroyed (or almost destroyed) my gear...

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Not sure if there's a thread on this, but if not... How about stories of how you destroyed your own gear, or near misses. Rods crushed, gear dropped down into the rocks on jetty's, whatever.

Though of this because I almost killed my set-up last night.

Tested some lures, put my Z and Stealth on the roof rack, drove home, opened the garage ...and then took a call.

While still on the phone, I forget where I'm at and proceed to ease the car into the garage...Crrrrunch! Told my financial advisor babbling about IRA's, he may have just cost me $1,200.

Fortunately, I put some rubber weather stripping on the bottom of my garage door last year. The door also has some upwards give, so while it sounded awful and my heart skipped a beat...it appears I dodged a bullet.

So confess... Tell us you most excellent stories of carelessness and/or stupidity. It will feel good to get it out.

Years ago...fresh out of college so practically no money in the wallet and the "bank owns me".!

I scrape up some dollars(since I love fishing) to buy a brand new Penn SS reel and a Uglystik rod. Not a lot of money but when you don't have any to fuel your passion to begin with, I treated them like gems.

First time out with them...fishing the shoreline cliffs in Kona, Hawaii. I tie a swivel to the mainline, then a big wooden floater clipped to it....leader off the floater to a hook. I bait the hook and send it fly'in thinking I need to catch some bait.

Ooops...forgot to secure a rod spike in the rocks beforehand so I lay the rod down flat on the rocks for just a short while.

Wouldn't you know it, I get a strike on the pole....the drag on the reel has not been adjusted yet so my brand new outfit goes flying off the cliff into the Pacific. All I could do was stare at it going down and out...!!! Made me sick.

BUT...much later in the day, as I am fishing with my other "old" rod, I see my floater on the surface a ways out. I manage to snag the line the floater is attached to and proceed to handline all the line on the reel(luckily I knotted the line to the reel spool) back in and retrieve my gear....True Story but one I wish to never encounter again.

Mahalos,

Was standing on a dry rock near the beach fishing on a jetty with my treasured Penn 650SS about a jillion years ago before I even owned Korkers.

Guess it wasn't so dry, went from vertical to in the air horizontal faster then you can blink your eye, rod n reel in my hands.

Came down right on the rock, on the reel, handle up. Honestly thought it was going to be sticking out of me.

Reel was pulverized, bent handle, broken rotor..........

Stupid !

One night on a small jetty on the north shore. A racoon popped out by my feet. Scared me to death I jumped back lost my foot thank god I fell backwards cause I probably could've had a stupid death. I landed on my stomach thank god I didn't break anything. My gear was okay but man I was bruised and defeated by a coon.

--------

A few times I've forgot to correctly string my line through the guides. Like forget to open bail, twist line around the tip and casted a lure only to have it fly off into the blue yonder.

-------

I've was walking out of a unfamiliar boulder at high tide. Thought it was safe to just walk out of the water instead of hopping on rocks. I slipped fell in got complete soaked head to toe. My bucket flipped over and lost my pliers, knife, all bait, rigs, and lead and my pride. I dried off with dry clothes I left by the shore. Add insult to injury after I dried off and wore new clothes thunder storm rolled in and got drenched.

--------

I've casted a few times where the top half of the two piece was loose from previous catches , dropping on jetty and had half the rod fly in as well. Have lost two rods in such ways.

------

Another time on a boat I loosened the drag so much and forgot about it. Lowered my tip of the rod to wait for a strike. Only when I got a hard bite and lifted upward the whole spool popped off and fell in the water I saw the line goin out from the fish and the spool sinking the other way. So I figured I can hand reel it in..... The fish part gets snagged , and I'm quickly trying to pull up the spool part. Only when I get it out of the water the line was too loosely tied on that the spool popped off and fell in and I lost fish, spool, and was the last stop of the boat.

-----

Quite a few times where wind blew so hard I lost my caps.

-------

I better buy korkers before something seriously scary happens and maybe a PDF seeing as I am very clumsy when I panic.

------

My favorite one is to see someone coming crabbing, forgetting to tie one end of the line to the dock. Chucking the trap far only to see the tail end of the line flying away. And the poor guy packs it up and leave as quickly as he arrived. Lol I've seen like many times always a good laugh to see.

After fishing a boulder field that has been more has been more than generous, especially to the guy I fish with. I made my way back to the beach and started to head back to the truck with my light off trying not to give up the spot. All of a sudden a large rock jumped in front of me and tripped me, I caught my fall on another rock, and split my hand open, bent the line roller bracket on my VS also breaking 3 guides on my gsb. It was a fairly inexpensive fix, but I learned to keep a back up in the truck at all times.

Years ago while on vacation I was told by buddies of a fantastic bite on bait at my normal fishing spot. I stopped a local tackle shop to get bait. To save time I grabbed my 11-6 off my roof rack and rigged it for bait and put it in my cooler rack. Aired down and spred off to the beach.

On the way the bait rod caught a cable wire across the roadway and tore it down. That wasn't bad enough. It came down across my roof rack and broke off 5 reels at the reel stem. A very costly fix. Then back at my room that night there was no cable tv. Oops

My cat Rocky was playing in the garage apparently stalking a mouse. Unbeknownst to me he had managed to knock a nice Ron Arra surf rod off the peg board that it was hanging on ,causing the stick to be within range of the garage door when opened.

When I opened the garage door from the outside the spring action decapitated about four inches of the rod. The cat never even apologized.:D

So I'm out on one of the local lakes fishing for bass. In my canoe with the Chessie, my tackle  box is open, I hook up with a largemouth that goes airborn, within .005 nanoseconds so does Z, (she was a retriever after all) the canoe flips, a twenty year accumulation of gear, my spare rod and a whole bunch of other stuff is now at the bottom of the lake. I still laugh, she was so very intent on my lure flying through the air, splashing down and twitching back across the surface, when the fish hit she couldn't resist. She's waiting out by the blind.

Once I was fishing a boulder field and I stepped off a rock and the butt of my rod violently struck a rock on the bottom, cracking off the reel foot at the seat on my 710z. Luckily, a tackle shop had one more main frame in stock. Still use that reel as my rugged "dunk" reel

In one week I snapped two of my smaller snapper/ fresh water rods... Left them in the back seat and had them hanging out the window, both times I rolled the window up and snapped the tips off, luckily they were cheap, but needless to say I was quite frustrated with my stupidity.

Forgot my real sand spikes and used the backups one night. I turn around to bait the second rod and when I turned back the first rod and holder were gone... Drag marks into the surf! :shock:

After ten minutes of dragging bottom I finally hooked the setup 200 yards up the beach-- the fish was still hooked, and I eventually landed a keeper!

Had to replace some scratched guides and have the reel cleaned, but easily one of the most exciting fish I have landed.

Excellent stories. Loving Rocky the cat, coon on a jetty, and the cable clearing the rods...and then no TV. Classic.

Regarding broken rods, while I've never broken a surf rod myself, I've probably been on the scene of 6-8 blow ups. One of the best was a Century on the Cape Cod Canal. Guy leaned back to let loose a bomb to reach the middle...unfortunately he snagged a rock on the back cast...crack!

I remember once my buddy Chris relaying a story about a garbage reel ... the Quantum Blue Runner ... apparently he ahd just bought the reel and was using it on an outing for bass and blues early fall ... all of a sudden he had a huge strike :bigeyes:and the fight was on! He was simply reeling in the fish when the Quantum decided it was going to come apart on it's own ... little by little ... bit by bit ... screw by screw ...:confused: the reel literally exploded in his hands while attached to rod ... with no other choice he began to handline in the fish:shock: ... to his shock he was able to land a double header of 9 lb, blues that had torn apart his hi/lo rig ... and literally destroyed what he has since considered to be ... the worst reel EVER MANUFACTURED EVER!! So I guess FISH can actually be responsible for destroying tackle too!