Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HSelesa

Drywall fibreglass tape

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hi Al,

Got some drywall tape yesterday. It came in a roll of 2" by 50'. I have never used this for reel seat bushings; masking tape worked for me all tis while. HOw far apart do you do your spacings? On masking tape I do approx 20mm intervals with 2part epoxy covering tape completely.

A couple of questions more: Do you make glue channels on cork arbors, especially on the inside of the arbor? And finally, what do you use as fillers if used at all.

Thanks Al

Happy New Year to you and all.

selesa

Henry,

I like to cut the drywall tape into 3/4 inch wide strips and use them the same way as masking tape. Just leave about 1/2 inch of space between the arbors for the epoxy glue to flow into.

I prefer not to use cork for reel arbors since they eventually will dry out and crumble.

With any type of bushing used and for gluing up grips you need to use good quality epoxy glue. U40 Rod Bond bt Trondak is good. Another is Kardol, which is similar to U40.

Happy New Year,

Al

Al,

Happy New Year. Thanks again for the goods.

I have only tried the drywall tape a couple of times with lousy results. The arbors didn't stay put while trying to put the seat on. They slid and collapsed down the blank. Any thoughts on what I did wrong?

I gave up on it and now use graphite arbors (where I can) or good ole masking tape if the space is small. I have also used PC7 paste epoxy. That stuff is tough. What are your thoughts on PC7.?

Oz,

PC7 is another type of non-flowing adhesive. Some rodbuilders I know use it with great success. I have been using Kardol for years and have stuck with it.

You are probably making too snug a fit with the drywall tape arbors. Try one or two less turns and wrap it tight.

Al

Al,

Thanks for the response. I hope I got the right drywall tape. It's from Canada and is called FibaTape. The adhesive backing does not seem to stick well, unlike masking tape. My epoxy of choice for grips and reelseats is Araldite(blue tube). I'd like to try Devcon 2ton epoxy sometime. What do you think od Devcon?

Happy New Year

Henry

When I began rod building back in the 50's, the arbors used under reel seats were basswood (linden). It is strong, light, and easily worked. Only the least expensive rods used masking tape - and they usually failed. I wish someone would supply the basswood arbors again.

Richard,

I have boxes of the wood sleeves. Am looking to sell them all.

Also have mucho wooden hosels and wood butts.

If interested contact me and I can make a list of sizes etc.

I will be part of Al G's Seminar, will be in the Flea Market, and can bring these items to the Seminar.

Capt Neil

(631) 567-8049

Hi,

I use masking tape under reel seats and fiber glass dry wall tape under off shore reel seats and unibutts.

I remove the shine off the blank in the reel seat area using a scuff pad. I clean the inside of the seat using 91% iso alcohol.

Under a 5" long reel seat I usually install 3 or 4 1/2" bands of masking tape with an open area in between the rings. The seat fits snug over the rings/arbors. I use U 40 Rod Bond epoxy, a semi paste. I make sure the whole reel seat cavity is filled with epoxy, slide the seat into place and then spin the blank at high speed for about 15 second to make sure the epoxy is equally distributed inside the seat. Check the seat alignment to the spine and let dry for 24 hours.

It works.

Capt Neil