Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Rate this topic

MikeMc

255* is fine Mike. Where/how are you measuring the temp?

the lid thermometer. I was going to put my oven thermomer on the grate but I forgot.

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

the lid thermometer. I was going to put my oven thermomer on the grate but I forgot.

+1 with loots

don't look at the temp until 30 minutes after putting the butt on to give it time to settle down. With the vents choked down like that it should eventually settle in the 225 - 250 range.

You'll overthink things for a while and eventually you'll hardly pay attention to the lid thermometer other than the occasional glance.

Right now the more important thing is to learn where she settles in at the configuration and fuel you have right now to serve as a base for further cooks.

Keep in mind your lid thermometer is likely to be 25 degrees lower that the grate temp, but you still within a nice range.

PS, try to keep your bottom vents equally open (i.e. all three at 1/4 or 1/2 open) to let the charcoal burn evenly and give you a better base of settings to work from.

"... let it go - lets move forward."

PS, try to keep your bottom vents equally open (i.e. all three at 1/4 or 1/2 open) to let the charcoal burn evenly and give you a better base of settings to work from

brb. :D

Thanks for all the advice everybody. I did peek at it. I used a flashlight and shone it in the top vent. :laugh:

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

I know I need to get better at getting it started. Think I might have used too much hot coals, causing it to get too hot. Either that or I didn't close the vents quick enough to keep the temp from rising. Thing was burning for 2 hours before I put the meat on. Seems like I wasted a lot of fuel getting going.

Ok guys lets hear your thoughts on how to cook some frog legs.

I have eaten but never cooked them. The Cajun who cooked them said this was the recipe (from John Folse) she used. They were very good.

French Fried Frog Legs

PREP TIME: 1 Hour

SERVES: 6

COMMENT:

Although the frog leg is the most rare seafood delicacy, it is quite common here in South Louisiana. I have had them prepared in many ways and in many places, but I still enjoy them beer-battered and deep-fried best.

INGREDIENTS:

2 dozen frog legs

1 quart buttermilk

1 egg

3 tbsps Creole mustard

1(10-ounce) bottle of beer

salt and cracked black pepper to taste

granulated garlic to taste

Worcestershire Sauce to taste

dash of hot sauce

4 cups seasoned yellow corn flour

2 cups oil

METHOD:

Preheat oil to 375 degrees F. Place frog legs in a mixing bowl and top with buttermilk. Allow to sit one hour at room temperature. In a separate bowl, combine egg, mustard and beer. Using a wire whisk, stir ingredients until well blended. Season lightly using salt, pepper, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Place corn flour in a paper bag. Remove frog legs from buttermilk, coat in beer batter and place in bag. Seal tightly and shake vigorously to coat legs thoroughly. Deep fry until golden brown. Serve with tartar sauce or cocktail sauce.

Garlic Frog Legs

Bulb of garlic

Mushrooms (fresh)

Bunch of frog legs (given to me by a guy -Scott- who I met at a dounut store on Sunday morning, it's an LA thing)

Butter

Garlic infused grapeseed oil

flour

beer

white wine

seasoning

more seasoning

Soak frog legs in beer for an hour or so, season- I used our zesty cajun seasoning http://store.duckcommander.com/p-458-cook-zesty-seasoning.aspx, pepper, and blackening seasoning. Roll frog legs in flour then set aside. In a large black skillet bring butter and grape seed oil up to high (don't burn the butter, it will brown when burning) not much oil and butter, just about half an inch or so. When oil and butter starts sizzling, put frog legs in and brown on each side; should be about half way up on frogs, just enough to brown. If butter gets low, throw another half stick in. Set browned frog legs to side, now, with what's left in the pan (which is the BEST of what's left), add white wine, garlic (whole pods, peeled), mushrooms and cook for a few minutes. Add all of your frog legs back in on top of this, put lid on and cook in oven for about 30 mins on 300. According to how big legs are, these tonight were HUGE so they didn't cook fully in browning process. If they are small then cook less. Meat will be falling off the bone, you will know its done, believe me!

You can't mess frog legs up, they are the best! Go find a ditch, catch some frogs and get to cookin'!!

-Willie Robertson

I know I need to get better at getting it started. Think I might have used too much hot coals, causing it to get too hot. Either that or I didn't close the vents quick enough to keep the temp from rising. Thing was burning for 2 hours before I put the meat on. Seems like I wasted a lot of fuel getting going.

Don't sweat it. I use a weed burner to start my coals and get it lit pretty good. I've put meat in as hot at 400 degrees. It'll come down quickly when you load it with meat.

Before using the weed burner, I'd fill the ring 2/3 and add one or 1/2 lit chimney (doesn't matter too much) with the lower vents open 1/2 with the top vent wide open. Go take care of the prep and put the meat in 30- 45 minutes later. I worry about temp half hour after putting the meat in. 30-45 minutes of run time before putting the meat in fine to get everything warmed up and the fire to settle down. I'll take note of the temp at that time, but I am more concerned what the temp will be half hour after it's been loaded with the meat. That's when I'll make a vent adjustment.

I know guys have a lot of theories on getting the initial temp right, but in all honesty, that initial cook temp is over rated. If fact temperature is over rated. You see teams win both hot and fast and low and slow and with pits not running where they want them too etc. So long as you balance minimizing evaporation with breaking down the tough stuff, and know what done meat feels like you'll make great BBQ.

So in other words, don't over think it. Gotcha. :D

Been holding steady at 250 most of the day. Dropped a bit,maybe 240, and I stirred it up and added some coals.

Thanks for the start-up tip. I had the bottom vents wide open. Wasted an hour cook time waiting for the temp to come down. Good things to know. Also, I'm need to get better with how long to leave it in the chimney. First smoke.I thought I left it in there too long. This morning, flames were shooting out of the bottom when I was pouring them in. Almost set myself on fire. :laugh:

So in other words, don't over think it. Gotcha. :D

Been holding steady at 250 most of the day. Dropped a bit,maybe 240, and I stirred it up and added some coals.

Thanks for the start-up tip. I had the bottom vents wide open. Wasted an hour cook time waiting for the temp to come down. Good things to know. Also, I'm need to get better with how long to leave it in the chimney. First smoke.I thought I left it in there too long. This morning, flames were shooting out of the bottom when I was pouring them in. Almost set myself on fire. :laugh:

get used to it. :D 15-20 minutes in the chimney should be good. Hardwood fires up in the chimney faster the kingsford. You'll want to get welder gloves and over the summer you'll learn to wear some form of shoes.

So how long before I even take a look at it? It weighs 7 pounds.

I see where I'm going to have to get something that takes this long going the night before so I can be eating it by now. I'm hungry.