Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Rate this topic

MikeMc

I've never had much luck with chicken in the WSW. I prefer a more brittle skin than I can get in the smoker and I usually wind up finishing it on the gasser. My chicken would not be considered quality BBQ competition worthy chicken.

Removing the bones also removes a lot of flavor.

The thing to remember mike is that different muscles respond to differently to different types of heat.

A nice fatty shoulder with lots of connective tissue benefits so much more from the slow and low heat than does a leaner muscle like a chicken leg or thigh. Chick will pick up a lot of smoke flavor but unless you do it right you wind up with rubbery skin that taste like smoke. Bleh.

I only really use my WSW for ribs and shoulders. I've all but given up on chicken...I'd rather do it on the performer.

I pulled the meat off the bone afterwards, Mike, like the next day so I could cover it in the wing sauce.

keep in mind that charcoal is wood and the charcoal alone will add a nice smokey flavor. I don't aways use wood chucks when cooking chicken or salmon, because the charcoal adds the smoke I am looking for.

Low and slow cooks more evenly than hot and fast, so don't trust your eyes. For chicken use the thermometer and for pork and brisket trust the feel.

Can someone wake up petey and tell him he's wrong about soaking wood!!!!!! I have things to do today.

I made chicken mainly to season the smoker at the suggestion of Charloots. It was a cheap, easy way to get that accomplished and get a little experience with the smoker itself. I spent $7 on two packs of legs and thighs. Think there were 10 total and I ate 8 of them so it was well worth the price of admission.

Turns out I have to work tomorrow (I forgot I volunteered :() so my shoulder is going to have to wait until Sunday.

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

I made chicken mainly to season the smoker at the suggestion of Charloots. It was a cheap, easy way to get that accomplished and get a little experience with the smoker itself. I spent $7 on two packs of legs and thighs. Think there were 10 total and I ate 8 of them so it was well worth the price of admission.

He's not as dumb as he looks that Charloots. :freak:

:)

Now you've got me itching to smoke up something.

#otterlivesmatter

He's not as dumb as he looks that Charloots. :freak:

:)

No, he's not. :)

I'm really disappointed I have to wait til Sunday now. :( I can see this becoming a bit addicting.

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't do it nearly enough.

It's really a ****ton of fun with a big gathering of people, all waiting for the BBQ to be done. It was one of the highlights of KoQapaloooza.

I hear carly simon singing Anticipation. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kings over Queens View Post

He's not as dumb as he looks that Charloots. freak.gif

smile.gif

No, he's not. smile.gif

I'm really disappointed I have to wait til Sunday now. frown.gif I can see this becoming a bit addicting.

Oh yea! You start taking goodies to work for lunch and put it in the microwave to heat up people will be looking for you.

I just dont get the sand in the water pan. Can someone splain that?

You use sand instead of water. It's supposed to be a more effective heat sink than water for long haul cooks. I know other guys use clay planter bottoms, but to me, those act more as a diffuser. They don't have any mass to absorb heat like water or sand.

#otterlivesmatter

This thread makes me think of cigars and scotch everytime. :(

"The toothless, braindead, *********, geriatric mouthbreathers around here love their "safe space". It is the only place in the world where they feel like winners, the gracious thing to do, would be to let them enjoy their delusional reality."

-Numbnuts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NS Mike D View Post

keep in mind that charcoal is wood and the charcoal alone will add a nice smokey flavor. I don't aways use wood chucks when cooking chicken or salmon, because the charcoal adds the smoke I am looking for.

Low and slow cooks more evenly than hot and fast, so don't trust your eyes. For chicken use the thermometer and for pork and brisket trust the feel.

Can someone wake up petey and tell him he's wrong about soaking wood!!!!!! I have things to do today.

I am waiting for a show to end (working-kind of).

Dont soak wood  Why would you throw water on a fire.

Homework.  Take a wood chunk (not a chip) and put it in water in your kitchen.  Leave it in there for three days.  Get a saw and cut it in half and tell us how far the water soaked in.  Hint: none.

Soaked chips just sizzle and pop and sling ash up into the air in the cooker.

Smoke flavor works like this-all that white puffy smoke is not really good.  Its bad.  It is soot and ash.  If you put that on meat that is going to be in the cooker for 12 to 18 hours, it will taste sour.  A good smoke flavor can be had when the wood chunks burn hot and fast.

That said, when we cook a burger or chicken breast on a grill, the wood chips-just a small handful- will do you right.  A quick puff of that white smoke will give a nice flavor.

So for the WSM, put two or three chunks on top of the charcoal close to where you lit it.  When the white smoke stops coming out of the cooker, they are burning at the right speed.  That will give you a nice smoke flavor.  Like Mike said, if you use a decent lump charcoal, you dont need any wood.

OK charcoal.  Old Kingsford definitely burns smoother than lump on the whole.  Sometimes a bag of lump will have a big patch of really small chips, and that pile of chip will catch and burn hotter.  And in low n slow it does just fine tastewise.

I only use lump in my egg.  I use a brand called Wicked good charcoal.  We get it cheaper up here, as the distributor's warehouse is up near Portland Maine.  It is dense it burns super smooth, and there is no need at all to use wood chunks, its smells wonderful.  There is a BIG difference in lump charcoals.

Royal Oak is good stuff, but they have two types.  The bags are marked "made in USA"  and made in Paraguay". The USA is denser and burns smoother. 

Here is the other trick.  Big Green Egg charcoal?  It is Royal Oak "Made in America".  Green eggs main store and the Royal Oak HQ are about three miles apart in Duluth Georgia:)  Royal Oak is cheaper.

Just keep playing with the thing.  But its like a fishing log, you got to remember what works and what doesnt. 

Try this sometime.  Take the water pan out completely and cook chicken on the top rack  over a medium fast fire.  Great mild sear, doesnt cook too fast of too slow.

That book by Gary Wiviott-VERY good stuff about a WSM.

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.”

Ayn Rand

That book by Gary Wiviott-VERY good stuff about a WSM.

It's on its way. :th:

And look at that proper grammar!! :D

I need to develop some patience already. It was a little too hot so I took the lid off to let some heat out. That only served to increase the air flow, and the temp. I hope to get my shoulder on before the coals burn out. :squid:

It's settled in around 255, a little hot but if I close the one partly open vent any more, it's going to go out. I welded the lid shut so I won't be able to take it off until tonight. :D