Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Rate this topic

MikeMc

$25 a frikken' Bag... for something you gonna burn !!!

:laugh::squid::kook:

I've paid more. Much more.

We talking Charcoal here?

I thought the category was "things that come in a bag that we burn".

It was....

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. – William James

I use briquettes in the WSW but lump in the Performer. My experience is that you need to let the blue smoke burn off the briquettes first before adding the meat. The briquettes, to me, provide a more reliable long term burn, and is slightly less expensive.

You can get lump for cheap at Restaurant Depot.

If doing a shoulder I wouldn't worry about waiting for the sand to come to temp as an effective heat sink. You're looking at an 8 to 12 hour process. I would let the fuel become stable before sealing everything up however.

Thanks again, Michael.

I have no issue paying $25 for a bag, but it aint gonna be charcoal. that's for sure.

Just don't let Chris deliver it to you.

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

Yes.

You should see if you can sign up your company. All you have to say is that you are in charge of the cafeteria. That's what I did. :)

It's like a Costco but specifically for restaurant supplies. Like anything you have to monitor what you buy otherwise you'll wind up with a 12 pound jug of beefarino. :laugh:

My wife tells me that their prices are comparable to what she spends elsewhere, and so far I've only purchased charcoal there, and a nice mondo big jug of stuffed hot cherry peppers.

#otterlivesmatter

Yes.

You should see if you can sign up your company. All you have to say is that you are in charge of the cafeteria. That's what I did. :)

It's like a Costco but specifically for restaurant supplies. Like anything you have to monitor what you buy otherwise you'll wind up with a 12 pound jug of beefarino. :laugh:

My wife tells me that their prices are comparable to what she spends elsewhere, and so far I've only purchased charcoal there, and a nice mondo big jug of stuffed hot cherry peppers.

obamacare bounced you, but costco saw an opportunity.

When you get all practiced up you can come up here, shoot a turkey, smoke it and enjoy a growler!

For the record.....SOL member "Starship" smoked this bird and did a damn fine job at that!

Sounds like a plan, ya hump.

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

How did I miss this thread. I'm going to be a bit of a contrarian here and it's the only time I differ from my mentor Scotto, for whom I have the highest respect, and say I ditched the sand. IMO, you don't need it. An empty water pan in a WSM works very well. I found the sand turns to concrete and when you get grease on it, it will burn something awful. Also, sand weighs a lot and will bend the support brackets, something you never want to experience when moving the middle at top units to get to the coals.

What. what about that trap door? Best I can tell it's there for product liability issues. Get hot gloves and get used to access the charcoal by removing the middle and lid in one motionj. It keeps the heat in and you have much easier access to the coals. I haven't used the access doors on my WSMs in two years.

Oh, back to the water. I run it dry when I cook hot and fast, but am inclined to use water on a low and slow cook. I was a fan of running WSM dry until a comp last year when we had no electronics to monitor the one we were using for ribs, so we went old school with water and took first place. My current rib smoker is a backwoods party I purchased from a team that did well in the American Royal and is at the Jack right now. It's uses water, as does Myron Mixon's smoker (he cooks hot and fast). So keep that in mind.

if I am doing pork butts, I cook low and slow in my big WSM dry (just line with foil for an easy cleanup no sand no water) and BBQ guru to pin the temp at 235. I have enough medals and trophies in pork to know that method works too.

While I use royal oak exclusively now, kingsford blue is great to learn on. It's more consistent and forgiving. I don't like it because it produces a lot more ash than lump.

big tip. give your smoker 45 minutes to an hour to settle in before adding food into it. Also, let the thing run 20-30 minutes after adjusting vents before deciding whether another vent change is needed.

Anything between 225 - 300 is ok. Just adjust your cook times and don't sweat the smoker temperature. And what is your smoker temp? Good question, I've seen a 75 degree range from the edge of the lower rack to the lid. I estimate as 50 degree difference between the lower rack and the lid, and assume it will narrow as tight as 25 degrees as the cook goes on. That is why you shouldn't worry too much with cook temperature and let the meat tell you when it's done.

And Low and Slow by Gary Wiviott is a must for a new WSM owner.

"... let it go - lets move forward."

wood: can I suggest apple or pecan for the lighter smoke like chicken. I prefer cherry for ribs because it's also a light smoke but adds a nice mahogany color to the ribs, which I like.

for big cuts like pork butts or brisket, I like to add hickory (50/50 apple/hickory for pork butts, 100% hickory for brisket).

have fun trying different wood chucks. btw you can put them right in top of your coals when the coals are lit, wood chucks will burn for a while and a little smoke goes a long way.

"... let it go - lets move forward."