Rate this topic

MikeMc

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom T View Post

Legs have a back? headscratch.gif

Man, I was wondering what the **** he was talking about. cwm27.gif

I just ate one. Not terrible, nice and juicy and looks cooked through. The skin sucks, though. Temped out at 150 but the temp inside the damn thing fell back down to 150. I can see there is going to be a learning curve, It's raising again now so I;m going to give the rest of them a little longer.

Yea leg quaters do. Did you see the tail on it? Its atached to a back bone. I make sure the chicken gets up to fully cooked temp in the oven before I serve it. Under cooked chicken will hurt you. But since tom knows every thing just ask him.

Agreed, trim the tail and back. Fat makes it sloppy. Smoking "wet" is different then a dry smoke, But just as good once you get the touch.

Keep the temp 160 -180 for a slow roll. Add hot water as needed. Wet chips on the coals will give you a harsher smoke but good none the less.

Run the water down and cook some chips is a good way to impart smoke but not too deeply.

Adding a few drops of liquid smoke to the water is an easy way to go. (Just a few)( forgive me lord for I have sinned)

Just about anything you smoke will benefit from Franks hot sauce in the last hour

Way over packed. Move to second shelf. Cook minion method, a half a chimney of lit coals poured over a full rack of charcoal. Open the bottom completely, open the top vent, let temp rise to about 200 and close the bottoms only to about half open. Then titrate up or down on the bottom vents only. Leave the top one open. I put sand covered with foil it my water pan. Easier clean u and better heat sink. Don;t forget some wood chunks for flavor as well as rub. Scott

Yea leg quaters do. Did you see the tail on it? Its atached to a back bone. I make sure the chicken gets up to fully cooked temp in the oven before I serve it. Under cooked chicken will hurt you. But since tom knows every thing just ask him.

You buy weird legs

Thanks for the suggestions and tips, gentlemen.

Scott, sand in the bottom of the water pan, a sheet of foil covering the sand and the water on top of that? Is that it?

And, what do you guys do with the water that left after cooking? :huh:

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

Quote:

Scott, sand in the bottom of the water pan, a sheet of foil covering the sand and the water on top of that? Is that it?

And, what do you guys do with the water that left after cooking? headscratch.gif

I dont know what the sand is all about. I gust fling the water in the woods.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishing pete View Post

Quote:

And, what do you guys do with the water that left after cooking? headscratch.gif

I dont know what the sand is all about. I gust fling the water in the woods.

Soak your feet in the sandy water.

The reality is the sand will sink better for the heat, provide a base, when covered in foil, to catch the drippings and doesn't get all mungy when cooking...and god forbid you run out of water in the cook and get a grease fire...I just prefer the sand for cooking in the pan rather than water.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottO View Post

The reality is the sand will sink better for the heat, provide a base, when covered in foil, to catch the drippings and doesn't get all mungy when cooking...and god forbid you run out of water in the cook and get a grease fire...I just prefer the sand for cooking in the pan rather than water.

Yea well when I am cookin' I leave the sand and dirt out of my recipe.