MikeMc

Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Rate this topic

7,688 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, HugeDinghy said:

My kettle lid barely fits anymore, it’s so warped. I had to take the channel locks to it the other day to bend the rim. 

I have that issue between the fire box and the smoke chamber on my WSM. One of them is out of round. 

1 hour ago, HugeDinghy said:

There was a time that all i used was brisket rub on everything- heaven made out of TX.  If it was oink I’d just add brown sugar. 

I sort of do that with my homemade brisket rub. I add sugar for pig. I also got a fish and veggie ruin that I'm pretty excited to try. For filling, not smoking. Also has some spicy pepper flake in it. 

29 mins ago, Reed422 said:

Any of you guys use fresh herbs for a rub been liking that

How do you rub on fresh herbs? I've used them in the turkey cavity when smoking one of them. 

13 mins ago, MikeMc said:

How do you rub on fresh herbs? I've used them in the turkey cavity when smoking one of them. 

chop em up smear em on. I usually coat in olive oil first. Have done this with ribs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, tons of herbs and then bbq sauce. Comes out great. Was thinking I may try to make a paste in the blender with fresh garlic and herbs.

2 mins ago, Reed422 said:

chop em up smear em on. I usually coat in olive oil first. Have done this with ribs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, tons of herbs and then bbq sauce. Comes out great. Was thinking I may try to make a paste in the blender with fresh garlic and herbs.

Start the paste by smearing salt into crushed garlic.  Side of knife does just fine.  Then chop herbs in.  Garlic, s/p, rosemary been used on all sorts of chicken and pork here for 50 years.  

1 min ago, JimW said:

Start the paste by smearing salt into crushed garlic.  Side of knife does just fine.  Then chop herbs in.  Garlic, s/p, rosemary been used on all sorts of chicken and pork here for 50 years.  

yeah I've done that method before but I'm also lazy

Just now, Reed422 said:

yeah I've done that method before but I'm also lazy

I’m too lazy to want to clean the blender for something this simple.  I’m gonna go see what herbs are on life support in the garden.  Might still be oregano, certainly some sage.  Need to deal with skinless boneless thighs wife bought.  Running out of ideas.  

3 hours ago, MikeMc said:

I have that issue between the fire box and the smoke chamber on my WSM. One of them is out of round. 

Roll the main body on a flat surface to see where it is out of round. Bend it back! That's what Weber told me when I called them about mine out of the box.

2 mins ago, Mike said:

Roll the main body on a flat surface to see where it is out of round. Bend it back! That's what Weber told me when I called them about mine out of the box.

Yeah, you or someone else suggested that. I've been reluctant as I don't want to **** it up worse. :laugh: 

4 mins ago, MikeMc said:

Yeah, you or someone else suggested that. I've been reluctant as I don't want to **** it up worse. :laugh: 

Time, patience and boredom…you won’t eff it up.