MikeMc

Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Rate this topic

6,412 posts in this topic

2 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

i have a buddy that talks a ton of junk about the snake method, says its better to keep adding "clean" coal. i cant tell the difference :shrug:

like using brickets in a row to continue lighting each other? I would try lump for that. To many impurities in brickets.

5 hours ago, JaseB said:

Cheap aluminun pan, about 2" high.  Puts the CB in that and fills it half way up the side 50/50 beer and water.  Sprinkles that little spice packet on top and braises it over low heat over coals for 5-6 hours.  It's outrageously good. 

so a basically just braised corn beef? 

Just now, Fishing Pete said:

like using brickets in a row to continue lighting each other? I would try lump for that. To many impurities in brickets.

im not sure he distinguishes between the two, i just have mentioned the snake method and how i do rib roasts, and he always says its better to just add coal thats burned off a bit. id assume he is talking bisquettes. 

6 mins ago, Fishing Pete said:

Yep. When I added coals I all ways got them going in the chimney. Fully lit. What are you using for meat? I dont make jerky any more for me. I'll make it for a party if they want it.

Eye round. I started going to the local asian market after your thread inspired me and I found that their eye round is not only half the price of the grocery stores, but it also comes meticulously trimmed making it an even better deal. Prolly yak meat though, lol.

5 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

i have a buddy that talks a ton of junk about the snake method, says its better to keep adding "clean" coal. i cant tell the difference :shrug:

I have had some great results using the snake. Hell of a lot easier than constantly adding coals.

may need to do this over the weekend

the Peach jelly, soy sauce and horseradish has me curious

finished product looks damn good

1 hour ago, Sandflee said:

so a basically just braised corn beef? 

Yes but on the smoker or grill indirect. 

1 min ago, JaseB said:

Yes but on the smoker or grill indirect. 

hate to admit but a pressure cooked corn beef is pretty damn delicious too

17 mins ago, Sandflee said:

hate to admit but a pressure cooked corn beef is pretty damn delicious too

The other half dozen they cook for St. Patty's day all go in the worlds biggest pressure cooker.   It's great, but don't touch the smoked stuff.   After she cooks the beef, she pulls it out and then dumps a matric ton of cabbage and onions in the "water" to cook.  Those with white vinegar and black pepper on them are better than boiled irish vegetables should be. 

1 min ago, JaseB said:

The other half dozen they cook for St. Patty's day all go in the worlds biggest pressure cooker.   It's great, but don't touch the smoked stuff.   After she cooks the beef, she pulls it out and then dumps a matric ton of cabbage and onions in the "water" to cook.  Those with white vinegar and black pepper on them are better than boiled irish vegetables should be. 

Yep some picking spice, peppercorns, beer beef broth, bay leaf pressure cook, then add onions taters, and it’s done in no time 

On 3/3/2021 at 5:50 PM, JMB said:

@Niffty had one of those effing electric smokers, swore by it. Brisket is Niffty’s thing and he smokes an awesome one. One year he smoking one for a spring fling and thats all I’m dreaming about the night before. Come the next day a he shows up with no brisket, wtf.

Damn electric smoker tripped the circuit breaker in the middle of the night and that was that.:laugh:

Yeah but thats when I was renting. I have it totally secure at my house now. 

1 hour ago, Niffty said:

Yeah but thats when I was renting. I have it totally secure at my house now. 

What cooker you using

1 hour ago, Fishing Pete said:

Hi Nifty. Hows it goin?

What up Pete? :wave:

Just now, Reed422 said:

What cooker you using

It's a Brinkmann bullet smoker.  Electric.  Red.  It's a smoker/steamer/roaster/grill, but I just smoke with it.  Don't know the model.  It cooks at 225º.  That's it.  ****ing on or ****ing off.  Perfect for brisket.  Does great ribs.  Actually everything I've done on it, pork, salmon, turkey legs, red fish (oh damn the red fish was good).  I'm not good at chicken apparently.    But that's user error.  I've done wings and skinless breast that were good.  Lime marinated smoked chicken tacos with diced tomatoes and cheddar on four tortillas.  Those are good.  I haven't done those in ages.  I live with a vegi/pescatarian so taco night is usually fish or fake meat.  (And they are awesome so mock me all you want.)  I ruined a pork butt by following a recipe instead of instinct once.  Don't trust the internet.

20180617_130131.jpg.2e2f34e3788b2e0930e6d66965c5b227.jpg