MikeMc

Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Rate this topic

2,761 posts in this topic

An hour and a half in and she’s holding steady. Guess I’ll finish the first episode of Chernobyl while waiting to add lump, stoke and catch a cycle of sleep. 

image.jpg.3346d6c488952adbed3db17cdfd571d2.jpg

8 hours ago, chessie_yaker said:

And she’s on there. 3lb Boston butt, pecan rub after a soak in warm water and apple cider vinegar

Nice, but the vinegar sauce goes on after you cook it.

Brining butts, parkay on ribs, braising briskets...

We need a separate thread for these commies. Especially because it's the 4th!!!!

On 7/1/2019 at 1:17 PM, Sandflee said:

makes they shiny for competition otherwise i cant see a point in butter

however you don't use a liquid (apple juice) when wrapping in foil? isn't braising it the point of that stage?

Too much liquid.  Ribs get soft.

Try this.  Then complain about it.

On 7/1/2019 at 0:53 PM, HugeDinghy said:

my BIL texted me all excited about buying his first smoker....a pellet smoker....didnt have the heart to tell him. 

Love mine, I'll put it up against any stick burner, very easy to use, not overpowering smoke, set it and forget it.

41 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

That’s exactly what someone who only owns a pellet smoker would say. 

I've had from stick burners and I can't say that you can taste a real difference.  If the stick burner F's up and you get a lot of bitter smoke than yes you can taste the difference.  If I made ribs from both a stick burner and a pellet smoker and didn't tell you which was which, I doubt you could tell the difference.  I know blasphemy.  Believe what you will, my life is a lot easier using a pellet smoker than a stick burner and tastes the same, certainly more consistent. :)

14 mins ago, mike3dr said:

I've had from stick burners and I can't say that you can taste a real difference.  If the stick burner F's up and you get a lot of bitter smoke than yes you can taste the difference.  If I made ribs from both a stick burner and a pellet smoker and didn't tell you which was which, I doubt you could tell the difference.  I know blasphemy.  Believe what you will, my life is a lot easier using a pellet smoker than a stick burner and tastes the same, certainly more consistent. :)

Didn't you have a restaurant where you were also smoking meats?

1 hour ago, HugeDinghy said:

That’s exactly what someone who only owns a pellet smoker would say. 

They remind me of the Jehovah’s. And vegans.

It turns out good product. That’s not the issue. You don’t buy your first and only smoker as a pellet pooper. It’s sacrilegious. 

2 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

It turns out good product. That’s not the issue. You don’t buy your first and only smoker as a pellet pooper. It’s sacrilegious. 

NSMike had one in his restaurant.

Just now, charloots said:

NSMike had one in his restaurant.

Ok. So this is a different Mike. My mistake