MikeMc

Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Rate this topic

2,048 posts in this topic

I ordered this on Monday. Was inside my door when I got home last night. My son took delivery earlier and didn't tell me when I talked to him as to surprise me. He's a good egg. :)

As was suggested by Loots, I put some legs and thighs on for the first smoke to season it up. Still working out the kinks trying to get the temp up. Just added more coal and have the vents wide open. I think I left the coals in the chimney too long and they burned up a little quick, especially the ones on the bottom..

You forgetted to season the chicken. :squid:

When you dump your starter full of hot coals on top of the base of coals in the bottom tray, don't seal it up right away...leave it open for 10 minutes so the unlit ones get a chance to catch. Also, use hot water to fill the water tray...don't use cold. Using hot will help save time as it balances.

Remember though...it's a cooker...not a grill. Plan your time accordingly.

Congratulations and use it in good health.

Nice job by kid by the way. :th:

You forgetted to season the chicken. :squid:

When you dump your starter full of hot coals on top of the base of coals in the bottom tray, don't seal it up right away...leave it open for 10 minutes so the unlit ones get a chance to catch. Also, use hot water to fill the water tray...don't use cold. Using hot will help save time as it balances.

Remember though...it's a cooker...not a grill. Plan your time accordingly.

Congratulations and use it in good health.

Nice job by kid by the way. :th:

Yes, I did forget to season the chicken. I was rushing and not thinking clearly. Like I said, trial run.

When you say base of coal, are you suggesting I put unlit coals on the bottom and dump the chimney on top of that?

Thanks Michael. :)

Depends on how long you are going to cook.

For those chicken parts I'd dump a fully engaged starter on top of an unlit starters worth of coals.

Arrange your base of coals in a circle and remove the center coals so you have a ring of coals. Dump the hot ones in there and they will burn outward to the air.

One starters worth of coal isn't going to last long enough or get hot enough to cook that chicken, in my opinion.

And fill the water tray with very hot water otherwise you'll steal heat from the cooking process and time to heat the water.

Little, NS Mike D, Loots and Mike Y WHY mike are all very knowledgeable on the bullet. :th:

For those chicken parts I'd dump a fully engaged starter on top of an unlit starters worth of coals.

Arrange your base of coals in a circle and remove the center coals so you have a ring of coals. Dump the hot ones in there and they will burn outward to the air.

One starters worth of coal isn't going to last long enough or get hot enough to cook that chicken, in my opinion.

And fill the water tray with very hot water otherwise you'll steal heat from the cooking process and time to heat the water.

Little, NS Mike D, Loots and Mike Y WHY mike are all very knowledgeable on the bullet. :th:

I did use hot water, at least. :laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kings over Queens View Post

Little, NS Mike D, Loots and Mike Y WHY mike are all very knowledgeable on the bullet. icon14.gif

I did use hot water, at least. cwm27.gif

Yea I know the bullet well. 27 yeaes. Y has the temp thing down. You can allways heat that stuff up on the grill I like to bring chicken up to temp in the oven after snoking. If you gut the backs out you will have a nicer product. Practice and have fun!

Legs have a back? :huh:

Man, I was wondering what the **** he was talking about. :laugh:

I just ate one. Not terrible, nice and juicy and looks cooked through. The skin sucks, though. Temped out at 150 but the temp inside the damn thing fell back down to 150. I can see there is going to be a learning curve, It's raising again now so I;m going to give the rest of them a little longer.

Subject title fooled me.

I was all for lighting one up and now I'm tokin' by myself...

I have been playing with one of these lately.

char_griller_kamado_akorn_grill.jpg

Next purchase is a Primo...

Done a whole lotta pork in it and I got the belly to prove it ;)

I was all for lighting one up and now I'm tokin' by myself...

I have been playing with one of these lately.

char_griller_kamado_akorn_grill.jpg

Next purchase is a Primo...

Done a whole lotta pork in it and I got the belly to prove it ;)

Believe me, you are not. ;)

I am so ******* jealous Mike. Congrats bud. Keep us updated on your yummy endeavors. :beers:

Thanks. The legs/thighs are kind of bland. Apparently, I forgot to season them. :o